1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

OK, I'm Sold, no more screwin around, I will save until I can get the Berg IP153...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MWBass, Jun 24, 2007.

1. MWBass

MWBass

Jun 19, 2005
    Belford, NJ
    I just thought about it for a while... and this all makes sense now...

I've done a boatload of testing....

Cabinet wise, I have played...

Ampeg...everything
    Agular...GS210,112, 410, 412
    Acoustic Image...whatever the small cab is...
    Accugroove...El Whappo, Whappo Jr., Tri210L, Tri112, Tri115, Tri110
    Acme...Low-B4
    Bergantino...HT322, IP112 Stack, IP310
    Eden...Almost everything
    Epifani...UL112, UL210, UL310, UL410, UL610, UL115, and the older NYC counterparts
    Euphonic Audio... NL-210, CXL-112, Wizzy, Wizzy M-Line, NM-410
    Glockenklang...112 Deluxe
    Mesa Boogie...Powerhouse everything
    Phil Jones...16B, 8T
    Sadowsky...410
    Schroeder...410L, 21012, etc.
    SWR... Goliath, Goliath Jr., Henry, Triad...
    And many more...

In all of my playing there are only four rigs that stand out...

A.) My original 2 410XLT Edens, with Eden Pre and QSC power amp... my longest term reference...

B.) Accugroove Whappo Jr. with QSC Power Amp and Millennia STT-1 Pre... my Oddio mini special...

C.) Euphonic Audio iAMP800 into two CXL-112L's

D.) Bergantino IP310 with Ampeg SVP-CL pre...

AS I said all of these were great, but it breaks down like this... The Edn rig was incredible for a long time, but it only sounded good within a 15 foot radius of the cabinets... and it required me lugging to hundred pound cabinets and a 100 pound rack... The Jr/Millennia rig was outstanding, very clear, articulat... near perfect, just slightly congested with fast runs in the midbass range... The euphionc iAMP800 into 2 CXL-112L's was awesome... and i was near buying the rig, had great articulation, really tight sound, but may have lacked just a bit of fullness to the individual notes...
    The Berg IP310... I keep sighting reasons around the IP310 and reasons why I shouldn't get it, but after playing through the IP112 stack, then plugging into the IP310... within about 30 seconds I knew i was playing a special rig... In all honesty it was everything I ever wanted... Every note was rich and full, yet there was never any congestion or smearing between notes at any speed with any playing style... that and the off angle projection was insane...

I guess I kept doging it because I knew I couldn't afford it... but I am gonna have to make it happen...

Why the IP153... Well, I heard from TB friends like Tom B. and Chadds about what the IP310 could do and what it sounds like and they were dead on... the cab was nearly perfect for my playing... but when tom b. said effortless articulation, and chadds backs it up... that is the exact term that defines what I have been looking for... I don't need to hear it, thats exactly what I have been trying to explain...
    Plus the benefits of a biamp well designed 3 way, and the use of a 15 inch woofer for plumbing the depths... makes sense...

I had a revelation because of this...

I have been waiting on a cutom bass now for over a year and it will be finished within three weeks... I won't say much except same pickup/electronics set as my olf fodera monarch classic, with the few body adjustments I needed and a design I designed myself from scratch... Jaw dropping... well to me at least... So, I have that coming,

And my ultimate goal was to get the sound that I want and the simplisity of getting in and out from a gig... Now some like small light cabs in a modular effect... me, one cab that can conquer any gig is what i want...

My rig will be very basic...

Piece 1... A Rolling Double Bass Guitar case...

(Side 1)...Bass
    (Side 2)...Boss GT-6B, Boss RC-50 Looper, Line Selection switch, Preamp/line driver...

Piece 2...Berg IP153...

Two pieces to carry in, both wheelable... Enough tone and volume to hit the nail on the head for any of my gigs... and every effect /loop i could need... all right there...

So, it seems right on for me... now I just have to come up with the cash...

I figure I have an iAMP800 i could sell, and a pair of MArtin Logan home speakers that I earned at work, so they were free... that'll probably get me about 1700... now I just need another 700 hmmmm....

Anyways, I wanted to ask what Pre/line driver I should get,

I want something small but preferably something I can use as on the front end and use as di at the same time...

Any thoughts...

2. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    WTX260

3. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    I never heard of the Berg IP 153....What is that exactly?

4. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    At the top of my short list of killer preamps would be the PJB P-1 and Glockenklang BAC.
    You've already tried the Millennia STT-1 (the TD-1 has two bands of parametric EQ & a DI).
    The Summit Audio TD-100 and FeQ-50 might be worth a try as well (there is a special Berg IP mod for the TD-100).

5. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    There is a thread going right now about this. I would know.:)

MW, go for the Glock if you liked that sound. All these pres are different with very different characteristics. You will really hear the difference between them on an IP so audition away.

6. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Congrats on the cab choice! That's great design and as close as you'll come to powered PA cabs mindset as you'll find this side of the Great Divide.

7. MWBass

MWBass

Jun 19, 2005
    Belford, NJ
    Yeah, it feels good...

I'm just worried that I want have cash in the time that I'll need it...

Chadds...

I would love to get the Bass Art Pre, but it won't work with my whole two pieces to haul deal... I need something small... Like PJB Buddy, or even the EA Micro 300 or the Eden as pre's, or even that EBS Micro Bass...

And Greenboy, sorry I don't know your real names off hand...

Thats what i was saying before, the only thing that would also allow this two trip thing to work would be a full range PA Cab... or a LArge Combo...

Thus if I really get stuck and can't do anything about it cash wise, I'll just pick up the QSC HPR153i and eq... and go... Otherwise, I have to find a combo amp that puts out enough sound sound to match these levels... anyone building a two twelve, 4 ten, or 15/6/1 three way combo amp.. any takers... hehe...

8. Hi there,

Yep, the IP153 is my current dream-rig too. Just had a chat with Dave at the Grooveshoppe about its (stellar!) performance and high standing amongst the other offerings. :)

"...The absolute best case scenario for a one cab solution that caters to all of the frequencies that we concern ourselves with..." was also how another friend of mine described it. :hyper:

I've also decided to ditch the IP112+EX115 configuration I had in mind and go for the all-in-one IP153 instead. I plan to drive the IP with my existing U5 preamp. Has anybody else had good results pairing Avalons with the IP series?

Downsides for me apart from the rather dear retail price, would be the shipping and insurance costs, plus customs duties, to get the Bergie from the US to Beijing. Probably a little over US$3k in total. Bummer. :(

Kind regards,
    Beebebop,
    Beijing.

9. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

I've been using a Kern IP-777 with my IP-153 cab and love it.. I also just tried it with a Personus Tube Preamp/D.I. and it sounds great.. You really don't need much in the way of a preamp for the IP-153 and I may just stick with the Presonus..

10. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    I don't see an IP153 on the Bergantino site. What is it?

11. Joelc73

Joelc73

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    That would be a killer rig.

The TD1's are a match made in heaven w/ the IP's. The other great (and lighter option) is a Demeter HPB or VTBP.

As SCT1422 said, you really don't need much w/ that cab. I'd shoot for features that you need (DI, etc) and the minimal amount of EQ you think you'll want. Don't my something w/ four bands of fully parametric EQ if you don't think you'll ever need it. Get what works and have fun!

Good luck!

12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    My friend, I know that you have been on a LONG search for your ultimate live rig. I feel your long journey is near its end. :D :bassist: :cool:

Tom.

Edit: Regarding preamp choice, this is a highly subjective decision, and my thoughts are to just try out some pres you have liked in the past (if possible, and if not, get thee to basstasters.com) and go with what sounds best to you. Some of my faves have been the Millennia TD-1, Phil Jones P-1, Kern IP-777, and my current gigging 'rock' preamp, Trace Elliot V-Type. That said, some more simple preamps, like the Summit Audio TD-100, or yes, that killer little PreSonus TubePre, can also work well.

13. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Inactive

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I'm guessing from the OP a 3-way 15" powered cab? Interesting to say the least (in a good way ;)).

14. I would be interested in one of your D410XLT's. :)

15. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Here's a shot of the one that I had at the last GTG. Jim has redesigned it somewhat, though, and now uses the tweeter from the HT112, and it is located in the upper right corner, between the two 6" mids. He says that this has improved the phase coherency and offered other improvements. I can't wait to hear one with the new tweeter configuration.

143_4319.jpg

16. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Inactive

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Wow.

Nice!

17. JonathanD

JonathanD

Dec 13, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    I have to commend you on taking your time to find what you want and saving for it. I swear talkbass gives me GAS.
    If you can be as diligent with your preamp selection as your cab selection I think you will be a happy.

18. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

I just also picked up a Nady RMX 6 rackmount mixer which has bass and treble on it which should be enough if I need any EQ along with the Presonus Tube DI.. I use a mixer because I also bring a keyboard on occasion depending on the gig.. I have 2 gigs this weekend and both are different which should be a great test.. I also just finally did an outdoor gig last Wednesday and the IP-153 sounded fantastic...

19. You are not fooling around, are you! Cool!

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021