1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

OK.. I'm stuck and need opinions!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GassGhost, Jun 5, 2007.

1. GassGhost

GassGhost

Oct 9, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    Hi All:

Here's the deal. I bought a MTD Z5... I have an MTD Kingston Heir fretless and an Ibanez BTB640QM. All decent basses in my opinion. I paid the most for the Z and to me it just doesn't sound as good as my other 2 basses. It has a much lower output level and just doesn't seem to sing like it's sisters. Along with all that, the A string seems to have even a slightly lower output then the other strings. I'm considering new pickups or a different pre amp or selling it all together for a Lakland 55-01 or 02. It's a great looking bass I love the neck, the balance, the burl top and the string spacing. The 35" scale doesn't really bother me at all either. It just doesn't seem to have the same umph! There are alot of geat minds at work here at TB (I know, I know!:p ) and I just wanted some outside opinions and suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your comments.
    GassGhost

2. I played Z5 and wasn't impressed either. They look great but that's about it, IMHO. I have $200, 30 year old Electras that I bought on ebay that will blow them away :bassist: I wouldn't invest any money in trying to improve a Z5.

3. 2 things to try before you lose money on trading:

1) New strings - the A string may be older than the rest, or just a dud. New strings are a cheap way to check, and then if you sell anyway, you get to say it has brand new strings on it!

2) Does the preamp need adjustment - new battery, or turning up a level trimpot to match your other basses... One of my ATK's had its trimpot set to a very low level, and when I turned it up, the sound was a huge amount better, more lively.

Steve

4. The 55-02 is your best bet. You will love it.

5. GassGhost

GassGhost

Oct 9, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    Hey
    Guys thanks for the tips. I did change the strings and was dissapointed when there was no change in the level.

SteveMcB, I never even thought of looking at the on board pre... I'm not sure it's adjustable, but you can bet I'm running downstairs right now to look. If it can be adjusted I'll report back... Wow that should have been a no brainer!

I am tempted by the Laklands!

Thanks,
    GassGhost

6. GassGhost

GassGhost

Oct 9, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    Well against my better judgment I did it... I sold the MTD Z5 and bought the Lakland 55-02...
    Actually, at first, I was a little disappointed with the Lakland too (the guy I bought it from was trying to emulate a fretless) but, I popped off the back cover and started changing the DIP switch settings and the thing just came alive!

WOW WHAT A DIFFERENCE!:hyper:

Again not that the Z5 was bad at all, but the Lakland 55-02 is just hot. Hotter output, hotter sounds (4 DIP switches on the pre for mid tone shift) and less external noise! This was the sound I was looking for. Like I said in the original post, the Z just seemed a little lifeless. Not the case with the 55-02. The Lakland just comes alive as soon as you plug it in. It's got Sodowski strings on it which I will soon switch out with DR high beams or fat beams and at that point it will be all there!

I don't think it's quite as pretty as the Z5 (amber) but to me it just sounds sooooo much better and that makes it a lot easier to look at. Fat, thin, scooped or anywhere else it just sings. Super tonal flexibility with the DIP switched pre and 3 tone controls. The play feel difference between the two Bass's is negligible to me. The 55-02 is heavier and feels a little more substantial and the neck is just a tad rounder than the MTD but play it enough and and those differences all melt away.

It was a tough decision but so well worth it to my ears. No knock on the MTD's but if your looking for a more aggressive sound and you like to tweak things the Lakland 55-02 is worth looking at.

For what it's worth:D

GassGhost

7. Cool, congratulations.

Those Laklands look good! Seems they sound good too :)

Have fun with the new bass,
    Steve

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 18, 2021