Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

OK, I'm stupid, but help me anyway, huh?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Funk Warts, Jun 17, 2001.

1. Funk Warts

Funk Warts

Jun 13, 2001
    London, UK
    I have a Yamha RBX760A. It has P pickups, J pickups and humbuckers. It also has a battery.

Does this mean that is is active? Do I ever need to replace the battery - leaking would be a nightmare, as I love the bass.

Thanks all, I know I'm exceedingly stupid.

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

You aren't stupid at all. The only "stupid" thing to do is not ask or research it somewhere.

Because you have a battery, it is active. Use a high quality battery. Don't try to save a dollar or two. Cheaper ones may not leak but a 9 volt battery is really a combination of something like six 1.9 batteries. In better quality batteries, these combine more efficiently to give you a better result. Leakage has popped up as a problem anywhere I've heard/seen.

As for replacing it, some people wait until their sound starts getting mysteriously distorted or raspy. Personally, I chage out every 6 months because I play gigs every weeks and practice/rehearse several hours a day, so I can't wait for the sound to deteriorate.

Keep asking when you run into stuff. Many of us are here to learn what we don't know and share what we do.

3. kcm

kcm

Jun 17, 2000
    Woking, Surrey.
    Also, don't leave your lead in when your not using the bass as this continues to drain the battery. Watch out with Duracells as sometimes they are too big for the battery slot. As said,better to ask than get to the middle of a gig and find your bass clapping out.

Welcome.

4. rickbass

Sheesh, I just caught it.....that was supposed to say, "...HASN'T popped up as a problem." At least as far as the popular US brands I know of. I've also had a some cheap appliances come with off-brand, foreign, batteries and they never leaked either. Has leakage in 9v's been a problem for anyone...? (it's still a wide world)

5. Hi Rick......

No.

Leakage shouldn't be an issue these days. Batt manufacturers - all the decent ones, anyway - seem to go in for this 'guaranteed leakproof' business. If my memory serves me correctly, Duracel used to promise to replace the piece of equipment if one of their batts leaked and ruined the equip't.

Like you say, Rick, these cheapy batts are not worth bothering with.

Whilst we're talking batteries, my advice would be not to use NiCads. They start with a lower voltage (nominally 8.4 Volts as opposed to 9 Volts) anyway. And unless they're put through proper charge / discharge cycles their life is dramatically reduced thus effectively removing the advantage claimed for them.

And, as another side issue, I've successfully reworked 9 Volt actives to use the 15 Volt, BLR121 and BLR154 batteries as used in photographic and electronic multimeteres. Just a thought....

:D:D

Once again I'm with Rickbass1. You're not stupid. Talk Bass is exactly the right place to come for and give advice.

Rockin John

6. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I have never had a problem with Duracells leaking since .... well ages. THe way I understand it is that the carbon ones leak so avoid cheap ones and the Dano 'vintage' batteries for actives (pedals are another can of worms).

7. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    PS I check my batteries periodically using my tuner (old Boss thing with a battery checker). No charge (pun not intended) for that advice or links to my website unlike a certain spammer we have problems with.

8. jljohnson85

jljohnson85

Nov 27, 2000
    Woodstock, GA
    Man..every six months. I just got my SR400 for Christmas and I've already had to change the battery 3 times.

9. rickbass

It may be one of the reasons the bass I was referring to cost twice as much as an SR400. I don't know exactly how the quality of the electrical engineering affects battery drain but I've read it does. And the control cavity of this brand of bass shows up on Lane Poor's website where he basically says, "This is top notch wiring and shielding in the control cavity."

Not to dis your SR400. Lower price doesn't always mean less quality........but usually, it's not (as with most things).

Are you unplugging that puppy every time you leave it alone for a while? Or do the batteries you've been buying have all kinds of Third World writing on them?