ok, im stupid....??

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by lucifer, Dec 16, 2001.

1. lucifer

lucifer Guest

Nov 7, 2001
    Higher tension strings?
    ive been everywhere, and cant seem to get hold of em, i just wanna see what they change (apart from tension, obviously).
  2. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    Higher tension than the strings you are using? I don't understand the question you have. What brand and gauge are you using now?
  3. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I think what he/she means is there such a thing as higher tention strings, and if they are, what do that do to the sound of the bass and where can he/she get them

Would I be right?
  4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    DR strings are known to be high tension strings. SOme really like them, others may not, but I am sure you can get many comments about them here as they are popular topic for discussion.

I have never seen a string actually labled "high tension."

5. Thomguy

Oct 15, 2001
    New York, USA
    Yes there are certainly higher and lower tension sets out there. I'm not aware of any specific brand that advertises "high" and "low" tension though. Interestingly enough, there is no standard in the industry when it comes to tension. Players always refer to strings by gauge, when it actually makes more sense to go by tension. The increase or decrease in tension does'nt change the sound, as in the strings will still reproduce the frequency of the notes, they'll just do it at higher or lower tensions. Mostly, this will only effect playability. If you have an aggresive attack and you find your strings clacking on the board a lot, an increase in tension may be due. Conversly, if you're a softer touch and you want an easier time fretting and plucking, lower tension will help. Since there's no way to tell tension from brand to brand besides looking at each individually it may take a while...
  6. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    >DR strings are known to be higher tension

This is only true for the Lo-Riders series, and they really aren't that stiff. Compared to DR Hi-Beams they stiffer but as far as roundwounds go, they are comparable to a lot of other brands.
  7. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    There are certain brands of flatwounds that have a very high tension. I use Fender flats from time to time and when I go back to roundwounds it feels like I'm playing a guitar.