Ok, i'm thinking about singing and playing...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Stephen Soto, Oct 14, 2003.

1. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Ok, I was just wondering if i'm going to practice this, if anyone can give me some tips, and pointers. Because i've never really been able to do it off the top. But I got a few Primus licks down that I could maybe sing the lyrics alright to...
    But I know I gotta start out with something easier...
  2. I know you can play Southbound Pachyderm by Primus, and the lyrics pretty much go with the music, so practice that song ;)
  3. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    i tried singin and playing at the same time about an hour ago, im horrible... i can sing really good, and im learnin to play bass pretty fast... but i can't do it at the same time
  4. dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    first learn the bassline, then learn the vocal melody, then compare the rhythms and intervals between the note you're playing and the note your singing. It helps if you have a good ear to know what interval it is, and know where you're going. It is more challenging than one might think, just don't try cutting your teeth on any Rush or Police stuff.

5. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Yeah man, I was trying to do Southbound Pachyderm like Ty said... Actually, i've always wanted to try to sing that for a while...
    I tried it, and didn't do too bad actually, not really at all... It's the same rythm/pace, so it wasn't very tricky, I just played the line, and read the lyrics online.
  6. blaire

Jul 15, 2003
    The land of Rice
    I learnt to sing and play by practicing on easy punk tunes like Blink 182 etc. Thats pretty easy coz the music changes with the lyrics and its great confidence building stuff,after that I went on to more difficult stuff.Also I was doing all the backing vocals for our band anyway. Keep it up,its fun.:D
  7. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Um, since you are from Japan, uh, no comment ;):p
  8. I agree with this. Depending what music you like of course. I found it easy to sing backing vox to songs with simple basslines at first (Starting Line, New Found Glory etc.) But singing backing vox to a song with a truckload of fills and stuff (Rise Against etc.) is harder to do until you practice the easy stuff first.

Also, in my mind I have to find a sort of "halfway point" between both. Sometimes if the line is easy, I can concentrate on the singing more, where as if the line is harder, I have to concentrate on the bassline more.
  9. blaire

Jul 15, 2003
    The land of Rice
    Well Stephen, Maybe I wont waste my time replying to any of your threads again. Firstly Im a New Zealander who lives in Japan. Secondly have you ever heard of any Japanese people called Blaire.Thirdly,What does it matter where people are from or where they live? "uh, no comment" Your last name sounds very Japanese. DUH
  10. i love japanese rock...good bass lines in general, and the bass seems to usually be more prominent, which is always good :bassist:
    yeah, also, it's probably a good idea to learn your bass part inside and out. Be able to play it cleanly with your eyes closed twice as fast as you plan on playing it...well, maybe not twice as fast, but faster. I've found i can sing while playing rhythm guitar easily, but usually have a hard time singing while playing bass unless the lines are really simple, or i just have the lines down cold(which never happens.;) the end
  11. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Yo man, chill the **** out, I was just kidding...
  12. iv found it easier to sing and play to song that i know, it would probably be easier to start like that that but i dont know find what works for you.
  13. that wont be much help

when the lyrics go along wiht the bass line its pretty easy, its when it doesnt match up that it gets hard. so yeah, it wont hurt to practice this kinda thing, but most songs wont be this way
  14. DEF, I'm just sayin to start off and get a feel for singing and playing at the same time, I know that most songs wont always go with the bassline.
  15. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Yeah, it was good for a first...
  16. it was hard for me to do at first, but over time it gets better, agree with those who said learn the bassline first though, be able to play it along with a cd as perfect as you're going to be able to, i did this primarily with songs by the ataris, rx bandits and allister, most of em were just simple 8th notes or 1/4notes, from there i've moved on to being to able to do the lyrics over rage against the machine songs, some alkaline trio, if it doesn't come after following all the tips u get here, u may not be able to do it
  17. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I remember reading an article that asked Geddy Lee from Rush how he practices singing and playing. He said he'd practice the bassline by itself until he knew it completely, then he'd practice JUST singing the lyrics. after that he started to integrate the two.

i found that if sylables occur on the beat or a note change its not too hard to bring the singing and playing together, but if the words occur out of time with the notes then sometimes slowing down the song to integrate the timing helps me.