Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

OK, is it GAS or do need a Big Bertha

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by carl-anton, Jan 25, 2002.

1. Hey dudes!
    Recently I've began to doubt my 2xGoliath III setup. I've allways sworn to 10's but now I really don't know. With my Stingray5 I think that there's too much harsh midrange, and it's getting a little boomy when I turn up the bass (I hate to write this!!)
    So, to those who owns a Big Bertha (Phogchris?):

Can the BB stand alone, or do I need some 10's to give it diffenition?

Would a Son of Bertha with one Goliath III be better than a BB with a Goliath Jr.?

I really like the natural sounding of the SWR rig, but would like to be more fat 'round' sounding, that thinnish 'pointy' sounding. (yup, made those describtions meself, so if you don't understand, s'okay!!) I A-B'd my Bass750 with a Mesa 400+ today and though I like the sound, I just know that I'm not a tube guy so: 'you need a big tube-amp' is not the correct answer!

Wacha' think?

Lars

...oh, by the way - The local store has a used Big Ben, is that and option, or is it too boomy?

2. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    I played a gig with only a Big Bertha with my Bass 750, and IMO it was the best sound I have ever personally heard(it sounded worse to me when I added the Goliath 4X10 at the next show). So, when my gear was stolen, I decided to buy a Mo' Bass and buy 2 Big Bertha's. For some reason, I have not received the 1st BB yet, and am playing with a Goliath Sr. that I like and I am considering going with 1 Big Bertha and a Goliath Sr.(but when I finally get the BB that I paid for a month ago, I will probably love it more). But, it remains to be seen what I end up with!!! I think that the BB is the best cab made by SWR. It definitely seems to be lacking in the high mids, which may be why I love it so much, so be forwarned....it is very bright also, but about the same as the Goliath III.

I do not feel that this or any SWR could be considered boomy(the 410XLT is extremely boomy to my ears). They tend to be overly bright and tight sounding, but you need a boost on the bass knob to get the right amount of bottom end, and the BB can handle it very well.....

3. Thanks guys.
    One more question: Will the Big Ben sound OK with a Goliath III, even if I won't be able to bi-amp them?

...and good luck tonight Phogchris!

4. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    I haven't tried the Big Ben, so I don't know for sure, but it should be fine. I've tried a Goliath Jr. 2x10 with a Son of Bertha 1x15 running them both full range and it was a GREAT sounding setup.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If anyone (a wife, say) asks, GAS is born out of need. In other words, if you didn't need it, you wouldn't have GAS for it.

6. The Goliath III is fine for a 4-string, but the Big Ben will give you the missing bottom end.

There is an efficiency problem, because the Goliath III is +5dB louder than the Big Ben. If you are bi-amping and can control both volumes, that solves the problem.

One alternative is to use LINE OUT on your preamp to drive a second power amp connected to the Big Ben.

7. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    dude, you _need_ one

8. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    someday - i will have a big bertha and a henry. then no one could defeat me :) unless of course their 4x12 kicks ass...

i played one once, and it sounded huge. i need a little more mids tho, so the henry would just about take care of it :)

jason