Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ok, its time to correct the problem

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by JWC, Apr 6, 2001.

1. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    I did go to the luthier today to get my action raised and some other stuff adjusted, including the intonation. I played for him, and he pointed out what I might have suspected was causing my fingers to stumble when playing. "Hook Fingers" as he calles them. I get my fingers under the strings when I play, and that sucks. How do I stop this. The pickup where I anchor my thumb is still too low to play with a straighter hand even when I raise it. Also, itll feel weird breaking the habit. what do i do.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You can check and adjust your plucking motion.
    You shouldn't pluck by bending your finger, which looks a little like pulling a trigger on a gun.
    Instead you move the finger as a whole, with the finger tip quite loose. You 'drag' the finger tip across the string, without keeping it rigid.
    The joint where the finger mets the palm is the joint to be used, not the big joint in the middle of the finger.
    Just touch the strings with the very tip of the finger.

Hope I can get it across, it would be much easier in German :)

3. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    no, i understand you fine. i think that will help, though it'll take some time to get used to. thanks again :)

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

"You shoudn't.." well yes I agree - unless you want to! This technique of getting under the strings and pulling is of course a vital part of slap/pop and I also use it as an "effect" in solos or where I want the bassline to "stand out". Of couse JMX is right and for accuracy and speed, the technique described is best for most fingerstyle applications.

But bending and getting underneath the strings, gives you that Stanley Clarke "pulled string" sound on either chords or single notes for a solo sound that is harsher and brighter without adjusting any of your settings. But it is difficult to build up speed using this!