OK, I've never played Hip-Hop anything before this

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by GrooveMonkey, May 27, 2005.

1. OK, I've never played Hip-Hop anything before this. After band practice last week our buddy Mike stopped by to check out our new Firepod/Laptop rig and we asked him to lay down some rhymes just to mess around. Here's what we came up with.

http://webpages.charter.net/erohver/LHM with Mikerude Freestyle.mp3

http://webpages.charter.net/erohver/LHM with Mikerude.mp3

Both tracks are completely improvised as far as the band goes and Mike surprised us! We just handed him a mic' and he said "gimme' a groove to rap over". Plenty of mistakes and it's pretty linear but we had a blast!!!

Let me know what you think.
  2. Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I'm in the middle of the first song. I really like it - great, simple groove. In fact, I had to pause and go noodle off that groove for 10 minutes. :cool:
  3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I liked that a lot- while a few of the lyrics are a little too stereotypical, in general your rapper friend is great and had a wonderful flow (I stay hidden like Tremors :D). He reminds me a lot of a pro rapper that I can't remember the name of right now. Good groove through most of the song. Keep working with him!
  4. Thanks man. That was my MIA Jazz Deluxe DI'd with a SansAmp BDDI in the "OFF" mode.
  5. Sounds cool!
    But it would be nice to hear your drummer play eights instead on his highat.
  6. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Very good. You hold it down nicely with slight variations that work well within the fabric. Very appropriate tone. Your guitarist holds back very well. He's got good control, you're lucky as a bassist to have that. That rapper is pretty good. Especially in that first song he flowed well considering the speed he had to think of stuff.