1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

OK...I've played 30+ years...how did I miss THIS guy???

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Guiseppe, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    I've been going through a Van Morrison phase lately, and although the studio albums are great, the "A Night In San Francisco" from 1994 has just INCREDIBLE bass playing from a cat I'd never known of named Nicky Scott. The whole album is filled with incredibly tasty, tone filled, absolute deliciousness. The cut "See Me Through/Soldier of Fortune/Thank You" has a simply crazy-good bass line (that I will be HARD pressed to learn to play accurately).

On top of being a crazy good bass player, he is also listed in the album credits as the band leader. Arranging a group as tight as this show AND playing monster chops - I am realizing this guy as someone that TOTALLY slipped under my radar. If you have that album, I strongly recommend giving it a re-listen. And if you don't have it, I recommend rewarding yourself and getting a copy. It really is THAT good!

PortlandBass77 and Garret Graves like this.
  2. Garret Graves

Garret Graves website- ggravesmusic.com Gold Supporting Member

May 20, 2010
    Arcadia, Ca
    Thanks for that Guiseppe! I hadn't heard of him either, having a hard time finding him on the net too. Great stuff

Guiseppe likes this.
  3. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    Glad to share! I have to admit after listening to music so long that it surprises me to find someone so good that totally slipped my radar. That whole album is on YouTube; do yourself a favor and put in some earbuds and give the whole album a listen. Also, he is credited as being the "band leader", so along with Van I gotta give him kudos if that's true - this band, this night, was TIGHT! I'd put this in my "best recorded live album" collection. Enjoy!

Garret Graves likes this.
  4. NightCat

NightCat

Apr 4, 2013
    Oregon
    Van Morrison band is just too cool. Everything is just smooth and groovy.

Guiseppe likes this.