ok, judgement time. (NEED HELP!)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Sep 9, 2001.

1. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    so i've been on here before about how my speaker rig distorts when i push it as loud as i need it to be, and how i thought i blew the 15 in my triad.

i just pulled the speaker out of my triad to inspect it to see if i can see it blown anywhere, and i don't see anything indicating it's bad. are there any tests i can do?

so...i played two pretty big shows this weekend, and i don't think it was distorting any more than it used to be. so maybe my speaker isn't blown. and i know EVERYTHING distorts when i push it, not just the 15. and even if i am clipping the poweramp, each cab is getting a paltry 225 watts, is that enough to take out a speaker, even if the cab is rated at 400 watts?

SO!!!! here's the question. should i buy a new 1000w poweramp to see if that fixes everything, or get a new speaker?

i suppose that since i need the poweramp anyways, i might as well get that first, since that may fix it entirely....

2. MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    If your speakers sound okay (clean) at lower volumes, then you were probably overdriving the amp into clipping. Hard clipping of a 225-watt (RMS) amp into a 400-watt (RMS) speaker *can* thermally damage it eventually. This is because hard clipping can result in almost 450 watts of power (double the amp's RMS sine rating) to the speaker. This is borderline for those cabinets.

If the amp is indeed clipping, you need more power, or more efficient cabinets, or both. If you buy a bigger power amp, that could keep it from clipping, but then you have to be careful not to overdo it otherwise.

- Mike
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Or maybe the grill was vibrating.
  4. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I could be wrong... But don't triad's have 12"'s in them, not 15"'s? :)

If you want to test for your grill vibrating

*captain obvious voice on*

Take your grill off and play without it!

*captain obvious voice off*

5. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    nope. it's for sure a 15, because i had it in my hand and there was a sticker on the magnet that said "triad 15" :D

did it. it's not that.

i found something interesting at swrsound.com tho...i wasn't aware that the triad actually has a built in 3 way crossover. check it:

The crossover points for the Triad are 5 kHz and
    100 Hz.

Frequencies above 5 kHz go to the Tweeter
    Frequencies between 5 kHz and 100 Hz go to
    the 10"
    Frequencies below 100Hz go to the 15"

i've changed my playing style lately (dropped the action, playing lighter and turning up the amp) so with my newfound fatter low end, maybe that increase in low power made my 15 sound worse?

6. i just pulled the speaker out of my triad to inspect it to see if i can see it blown anywhere, and i don't see anything indicating it's bad. are there any tests i can do?

The test is your ear.

When the speaker blows you may not see any problems because the VOICE COIL is toast.
    Either binding glue has softened from over heating, or the form is warped or misalined...

Slamming a cabinet on the ground too hard can throw off the voice coil tolerances and begin the process of destruction.

Speakers (especially Bass) don't last forever.
    Some touring pro's get full recones every year.