Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

OK, just don't talk that way around ME.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Flatwound, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I had a 26-year old man working for me for a short while, and he apparently assumed that since I'm an older caucasian guy, that it would be alright to use racial epithets around me, like the n-word, f***ing Mexicans and so on. I find that really offensive. I mentioned to him that my brother-in-law is black, hoping he would get a clue. I didn't mention to him that I prefer the company of the f***ing Mexicans I know to his, but I could have.

I work with people of various races every day, and I can't imagine feeling superior to all of them, or disliking them because they have a different skin color. What is the point? :confused:

I think that in the USA, you have the right to hate people if you want to, for whatever stupid reason you like. But if you share these views with me, you'll quickly find out that I see things differently.

On one job, this guy asked me about some issues directly relating to the ethnic background of the homeowner. My answer was, "The way I see it, these are my customers, and I'm doing work for them. That's about it." He still didn't get it.

Hard to believe this is the 21st century.

2. i used to have to deal with that a lot. i absolutely hated it. i actually stopped using a certain vendor for vehicle repairs because the owner of the company wouldn't shutup with his racist crap. i did that kind of thing more than once, trying to let these fools know that spewing racism and stupidity had consequenses in the business world. they never seemed to understand.

great. now i have "they might be giants" stuck in my head.

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The problem is that it's never gonna go away. Not because we can't teach people it's wrong (we do that), but because basically, it makes people different, and that freaks people out. So, unless we can get over that fear (which sublimates into hate) of that which is different, we're always gonna see it.

And we've been afraid of something and someone different since we were living to the ripe old age of 20.

I mean, why hate someone because of the cultural or ethnic backround, when you can get to know them, and hate them for all new reasons (- Carlin)

Bigotry and racism are a bloomin' shame, really.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Perhaps a slightly more direct approach might get through. Something like, "Would you mind keeping your pathetic bigotry to yourself? It's just an expression of your own self-loathing."

5. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    I hear ya man! It's not only race, but religion, gender and sexual preference. I guess there will always people out there that will find something to hate people for. It's hard to fight ignorance but you can try, one idiot at a time.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Religion? That's different.

7. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Hate has no guidelines biatch... ;)

8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    The way Ive always dealt with it is by telling them flat out that I think they are flat out stupid for believing any race is superior to the other, or just getting as far from those people as I can when telling them they are an idiot is out of the question.

What really gets to me are the old Cuban people I grew up around in Miami who would constantly put down blacks. I wonder if they ever stopped to think about why they dont have the same physical features as people from Spain and share so many with Africans.

Peace
    Nick

9. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Whoa, major deja vu man, have you posted that same thing before?

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    That amused me. Thank you.

11. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Hate sucks, it really does... It's skewed things in our society that its almost wrong to notice the obvious. I could careless what race/religion,,,whatever,,,,anyone is. But, we can't get to know those that are different than we are, unless we're able to talk openly about those differences.

12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Probably. It really gets to me and its always there so its always on my mind.

Just so I add a little more.

Its even worse when I see that these old Cuban people have children and grandchildren my age who think the same way they did. You figured at least now in the year two thousand friken four we'd be enlightened enough to see through what hateful BS our parents bark out and at least be able to see that our bodies are physically similar to the people we talk down.

13. I've lived around people that talk like that my whole life. This includes my family, acquaintances, and even some people I call friends. The people I am around alot know that I do not think like them, and that I like their racism is despicable. Many of them still say racist things just to get a charge out of me. For people that I do not know, I let them have it as soon as it comes out of their mouth. I usually let them know how big of a redneck they are. The problem here is that many people are proud to be "rednecks."

I have a big problem with anyone who thinks they are better than anyone else. I am sure this is a problem I will die with, because most people put themselves above others in some respect.

14. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Ok cool Nick, I totally agree with you too. I am always surprised when I meet people my age that are blind enough to still believe in the crap their parents/grandparents spew at them.

15. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

kids will often repeat , and live , what their parents teach them . it's really sad , but i see this kind of stuff almost every day ...

imo , the only thing you can do as a person of concience , is to keep up the good fight and not repeat the awful things people say about others...
    calling someone names , " redneck " included , only makes the situation worse ... again , jmo .

edit : Nick Man , great signature , btw :cool:

16. He's got a good point about the name calling, only bad thing is that most people's attitudes are so rigid that a lot of philosophical talk about equality will not change any minds either. Despite that, you have to say something to these people. You should probably take the high ground an respectfully explain your stance and just hope that it will have some sort of effect.

17. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    How is redneck different from ******, spic, chink, etc?

I call myself a spic all the time. If they see its not offensive to me then they can't use it against me.

18. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Albeit true, redneck is more a 'way of life' and a learned behavior and I would certainly feel less shame for calling someone that. Namecalling however, does no one any good and I personally do not go around insulting anyone regardless of how high they are on the moronmeter.

19. {my emphasis}

Doesn't a solution kind of offer itself here? You were the boss - if you didn't want him spouting racist BS, you should have told him not to.