Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

OK, let me clarify the Copley question!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by treeguy, Dec 10, 2004.

1. Alright, I just finished searching through the vast threads I found about Copley basses on this site. I found more than enough that couldn't stand the things, and it seems like a point of contention here. I read through a number of user reviews on another site (harmony central) and heard nothing but people singing their praises! And, I have talked to Mr. Copley once and he seemed like a genuine person. So, my main concern was how the B string sounded! That is the one question that I could never find answered in any of the posts I found. I saw that a number of you have owned the bass, so I was just curious. Did any of you actually like the bass?

2. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I've got one I'll sell ya....

3. OK, but that doesn't answer my question. I've heard totally opposite reviews about this bass. What do you think about the B string? Is it nice and tight, or floppy as everything? I don't want a B string that sounds like mud. I'm not ready to buy one yet, I'm just doing some research.

4. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Actually it was, but I'll say it like this; I don't like mine, but that may be just me. I thought the sound was ok on the B. Just didn't like the feel of the neck. I'd get a Brice or a Squire, instead.

5. Are you near a Sams Club? They might have a floor model to check out.

6. I am actually, but anything I can check out at Sam's club would be such a step down from my Spector that I wouldn't want to deal with it. I would actually like a 34" 5er to play when my 35" gets a little tiresome. Like two or more hours of continuous play. But I certainly don't want a piece of junk, which is the impression that I am getting about this bass. Thanks for the info, I just wanted to hear it from someone who had actually played one, instead of someone guessing. I don't like to spend money on guesses.

7. What is your budget? Why not get a fretless as a second bass?

8. Well, I've never tried fretless (other than just fooling around with one for 10 minutes or so). I almost talked myself in to it when I bought the spectorcore 5 that I have now, because the shop had a fretless 5 just like the fretted one I bought. I may give it some consideration though, it would just take some getting used to on my part. I just don't have a ton of money to blow. If I did, I'd go get a Sadowski (I hear their 34" 5 strings are outstanding). I think around $500-$600.

9. Well it is kind of like learning stick if you learned to drive an automatic. You are uncofortable at first but you adjust. Maybe an SX or Fender MIM Fretless P bass would be the ticket. A fretless P with flats is an excellent bass second bass to have. Can use both for mello or aggro stuff. Just a suggestion.

10. I 'll give it thought. I appreciate the help. I almost made the jump once, maybe I can talk myself into it again. Do you like the SX basses? They're pretty cheap (inexpensive I mean), and I have never seen or played one personally. Just on Ebay. Descent rig for the money?

11. Just read up on them. They pass the TB gauntlet of scrutiny, which says a lot. Even household brands like Hartke, GK or MIM Fenders have not survived this most rigorous standard. They have their share of controversy. The Essex do not.

To me, that says a lot.

You will love fretless. Don't fear it.

12. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    +1

Seriously consider a fretless. I went fretless in May, and I'm never going back. I was ok around june, spent all summer playing it, and now I can play more in tune on my fretless than is possible on my fully-intonated Samick fretted ;). I've played the fretted maybe 3 times in the last 4 months.

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Why don't you get another Spector?

-Mike

14. I've also read those reviews on Harmony Central, and to me, it almost seems as though someone from Copley wrote them.
    The reviews are just a little too good if you know what I mean.

15. Sorry guys, I've been away from my computer for a while and haven't been able to respond. I really think I might try the fretless. The reason I'm not going with another Spector is i would like different sounds. I love the sound out of the Spectorcore, but it would be nice to be able to get a little different sound sometimes. But, I guess I could try and hunt up another fretless Spectorcore. Thanks for the advice all, I appreciate it.

16. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    After reading this post, I went and checked out the HC reviews -- Brad seems to be right on the money here. Those reviews are pretty dang suspect.

17. Asaf

Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    Israel
    tried their strings, loved them for 2 days on my bass then i tried other NORMAL strings and thought to myself...that was a waste of money :scowl: ...impulse student purchase.

18. I guess I had never looked at all those comments on Harmony Central like that. They do sound pretty apmed up! The more I sit and think about it, the more I am thinking of picking up one of the SX fretless. I still have my Spector, so it's not like I have to play like a pro in two days to keep from sounding like an idiot the next time I play at church! Thanks for all the info everyone, I appreciate it.