Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ok, let me get a few things straight...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by canopener, Feb 1, 2004.

1. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    After gathering as much info online and otherwise about amps, I'm still a bit miffed on a few things...

We'll use my combo 100w 8ohm combo as an example.
    1. True or false: I can use the speaker out jack to hook one 8 ohm cab 100w or greater or two 16 ohm cabs daisy-chained at 100w or greater and the speaker in my combo will be bypassed.
    2. True or fasle: I can use the line out jack to hook up another amplifier/combo.
    Say I do hook two cabs at say, 200w each to my amp, roughly how much louder would this be?

Sorry for clogging up bandwidth, I am not going to do anything anytime soon, I just wanted to get my facts together first...

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    1. False. Unless there is an option to turn off the internal speaker, it will continue to receive power regardless of what you add to it. This is true of any combo I have come across.

2. True, kinda. If the line out is an amplified signal, then you will not want to send an amplified signal into an amp input.

You will only be as loud as your wattage. If your amp puts out 100 watts max, then your internal speaker, and your extra cab will share those 100 watts. There are alot of unanswered variables in your scenario, but my answers are generally speaking.

-Mike

3. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Thanks guys, that clears things up a bit.