Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ok......lets end this little myth that bass players cant get girlfriends

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Supernova67, Aug 21, 2005.

1. Supernova67

Supernova67

Jun 21, 2005
    Michigan
    well.........mythbusters hasnt done it yet so why dont we.

anyone who has a girlfriend or wife or partner or whatever post their name and how long you've been together. or you single losers can gripe about how it's not your fault your ugly,fat,shy,unlucky, or whatever other excuse you use. i'll go first

Ashley-2 weeks

:D

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Good one, man...congratulations.

There have been quite a few and of diverse description...most recently, just had one of 3 years end.

I'm not going to list names or times for any as I respect their right to intarweb anonymity.

3. Ego

Ego

Jan 10, 2004
    i'm about to end a year-and-handful-of-month thing 'cause i'm goin to college. :(

we're seein Blue Man Group together the night before i leave

4. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    I too respect their right to intarweb anonymity but I've been with a girl for four months now, fortunatley she already knows about bass, she really likes funky stuff too, only bass can funk it up :D.

5. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I had a beautiful, near-perfect girlfriend of two years until last week. Methodical Civil Engineers and laid-back musicians just weren't made to work out.

6. Oh yeah? Well MY girlfriend PLAYS bass....

:D

Sorry, sorry.

Ok well we've been going out almost 2 years now.

7. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    No names (gentlemen do NOT kiss and tell).

I'm 44, so is she. We were born in the same hospital 13 days apart. We've known each other since we were 5. "Dated" (if you can call it that) since we were 13. Got married when we were 21 (in 1982). Will celebrate 23 years this fall. More in love now than at any time in the past.

There.

8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Yep..it is a myth. Chicks dig Tim Cole. They throw their underthings at him almost every gig. They sit there and chant...."OhTimmmy....Oh Timmmy" in unison.

9. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    I've been dating a lovely girl for 2 months now, and have had prior relationships. Sadly, one of the first ended, because I had just started playing bass, and she couldn't handle being the 'other woman.'

10. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    This is the worst thread ever. Just admit it, bro... Ashley is your mail order bride, huh? ;)

I've been single since like... march? february? january? around there... but i was with her for like... 1 year and 3 months... or so.

11. Do I sense jealousy? I'm sure you get the longest post-coital snuggle session. :D

Oh....uh... Married 4 years...dated for 7. Don't think my instrument of choice has any effect on the ladies. The fact that I don't know when to shut up, however....

Mike

12. XDIDn't even know such a claim had ever been made.........innnnteresting.

13. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I've been dating this girl, who plays bass mind you, and fretless as well, for just over 3 months.

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Calm down buddy. That was you three weeks ago, and it can be you tomorrow if you're not careful. :D

I married my wife Cindy 9.5 years ago.

-Mike

15. Is there a fire here because you just got BURNED!

anyways, single here for a 7 months by my count.

It is because I am fat... all 140lbs of me at 5"11

16. FriscoBassAce

FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative
    I've been married to my extremely supportive wife for nearly two years. She has gone to my gigs, taken pictures of the band (she's a former pro photog), and basically allows me to be me. When we met, the only thing I was doing musically was playing around on a guitar occasionally. It wasn't until last year that I bought a bass again and started practicing.

Now, let's jump back to the past. Between 1981 and 1986 when I was playing in hard rock and metal bands (back when I was just a punk), I had NO problem getting girls. Being in a band most definitely helped, especially when it came to "casual" relationships. Then, in 1986, I moved in with my then girlfriend, and my musical world crumbled. Hated my bass, hated my music, didn't like me hanging out with band mates, etc. Suffice it to say that's why I had a long lapse in the music dept. Worst mistake of my life.

If your chick doesn't support you 100%, let her go. Find someone who likes you for the way you are and is fine with you playing in a band.

17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Whoa! That's harsh. If she was the girl of your dreams, and asked you to give up your bass....what would you do? I'd say "see ya later.....bass".

-Mike

18. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    No problem.

-Mike

19. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    The longest I've kept one is about 3 months. :bassist:

20. Ego

Ego

Jan 10, 2004
    you know, i've never heard that myth before.

bass players hav strong fingers, drummers have strong arms..... and guitarists have strong wrists.

which benefits which?