Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

OK, my Ibanez GSR 190 is still playing quietly

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by flyingcowofdoom, Mar 27, 2001.

1. flyingcowofdoom

flyingcowofdoom

Nov 20, 2000
    NJ, USA
    I changed the strings, and it didn't get any louder, just tinnier. I didn't like the sound, so I put the old strings back on. Now, is it possible that my cable could be the problem? I'm hoping it's not something wrong with the bass itself, I'm a little tight for cash right now....

--FCOD

2. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    :: puts on doctor costume ::

Well, given the symptoms you described, it couldn't be your cable. The only way it could be your cable is if it was cutting out. My prognosis is, pick harder! more gain = more volume.

3. flyingcowofdoom

flyingcowofdoom

Nov 20, 2000
    NJ, USA
    Hmm. It's just weird because it played a lot louder when I first got it. Mabye I'm just going deaf....

--FCOD

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Does it have a Precision pickup only, like on y Fender P bass?
    A friend of mine had a similar problem, it turned out that the part that picks up the E and A didn't work anymore - broken wire - thus making it sound more quiet.
    Check all internal wiring, or let a service tech or friend with some experience check it for you.

5. flyingcowofdoom

flyingcowofdoom

Nov 20, 2000
    NJ, USA
    It has one pickup for all strings, and one set of two pickups, E and A, and D and G.

Like this(excuse bad ascii art):

| | | |
    | | | |
    | |==
    ==| |
    | | | |
    ===
    | | | |
    ------

--FCOD

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Ok, that's a so-called PJ setup ( a Fender Precision- and a Jazz-style pickup). Check if both PUs have roughly the same output. You can check this by turning the balance pot - or the individual volume pots, depending on what setup your bass has.
    If the bass goes silent or more quit in a particular setting, there's something wrong with either pickups or wiring.

7. AssMan

AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    Get a new cable too be sure. Also did you change the set-up (string height, intonation, Pick-up height) at all? If you did, you probably set the pick-ups too low into the body. It could also be crappy wireing because it's a cheap bass. It might be your amp too, so try using a different bass through it. Basicly use process of elimination untill you find the problem.

8. flyingcowofdoom

flyingcowofdoom

Nov 20, 2000
    NJ, USA
    Lol, I have 3 knobs and I don't know what they do are. The one farthest from the neck doesn't appear to do anything. If I turn the middle one up all the way and the other two off, the volume is up. If I turn the closest to the neck one up and the others off the volume is up a little higher. If I turn both volume ones up the volume gets a little higher.

Is it the case that the two knobs are volume? I never thought that there was a different volume for each pickup. I think I'll try checking the pickup wiring.

Thanks

--FCOD

9. AssMan

AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    Ok. The knob that is closest to the neck controls the volume of pick-up closest neck which is in your case the P pick-up (the split one). The middle knob controls the volume of the J pick-up (the long skinny one near the bridge). The last knob controls the tone of the bass (It bleeds off high freaquencys). When the tone knob is all the way down it's bleeding off most of the highs, as you turn it up, it bleeds of less highs.

10. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    1) Picking has nothing to do with gain, and
    2) Gain means more distortion (with added volume), basically. VOLUME means more VOLUME.

While cable wouldnt be my first thought, its possible.

11. AssMan

AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    Is it the case that the two knobs are volume? I never thought that there was a different volume for each pickup. I think I'll try checking the pickup wiring.

Thanks

--FCOD [/B][/QUOTE]

Yes there's a different volume for each pick-up. I wouldn't recomend checking the wiring, because if you don't know what the controls on your bass do, chances are you have know idea what you're doing in there, and will do more harm than good by opening your bass up.

12. IgnorantBxt

IgnorantBxt

Jun 6, 2006
    Italy
    I've a gsr190 too and in its life it has got many problems....
    The quiet volume i think is generated by the tone control.
    You can hear the difference at high volume; with high tone the general volume increase and you need to decrease the pickups' volume, otherwise when tone is at minimum you have to increase the pickups' volume. Try to do this.

From bridge to neck:
    -tone control
    -bridge pickup volume
    -neck pickup volume