1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

OK. Now I’m getting creeped out...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I work in a Bklyn. NY HS that made the news two weeks in a row because of bomb scares ISIS claims responsibility for. Both days we spent outside the school while tons of police and firefighters checked things out.

Today it’s happening again, but we’re on lockdown instead. Locked n our classrooms.

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yikes. Hang in there man. Here's hoping it's all a horrible hoax.

3. ptg

ptg

Mar 16, 2008
    ...and you have the presence of mind to post it on TB...nice!

Hand in there, Joe!

4. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Nothing else for me to do. I was on lunch and went to the music room.

They had everyone return to regular schedule, but they don’t give us any info. They went into all rooms checking all desk drawers.

Terrorism is working. Half the kids said screw this and went home. Teachers are all on edge.

If I wind up dead here any day soon I hope my wife gets rich.

5. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    why is your school being singled out?! did ISIS fail history class, again? :bag: :chicken: :whistle:

6. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    This is where terrorism wins, the fear that stops people from leading a normal life :rollno:

I hope it is over soon @Joe Nerve , and that it is just that, a scare!

blastoff99 and hrodbert696 like this.
  7. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
  8. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

Jeez! I can't even begin to imagine what would cause anybody to threaten to blow up a school, let alone think about actually doing it. There's defective people out there. I hope you don't leave behind a rich widow because you stick around. Stay safe. I sure hope whatever misguided ideas drive threats like that fade away sooner rather than later.

MJ5150 and jmattbassplaya like this.
  9. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    Stay safe; that's horrible!

10. Stay safe Joe, I didn't see anything on news about it, however it could have been overshadowed by the train wreck this morning in Washington

11. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

Maybe it is just a bad prank by misguided student(s) wanting to disrupt the school day. Anyway...be safe.

hrodbert696 likes this.
  12. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    My friend works Texas Border patrol.. .He has been on that job for over 10 years after serving in military . . he said they knew ISIS types were coming across in droves 3 summers ago.
    YOu see the one guy claiming ISIS run over people on the west side hwy a month ago. Then last week a nitwit claiming ISIS detonates a misfire in the Port Authority terminal, Another one ran over people in NYC in July,
    Just a matter of time before they do another.

And people act surprised when it happens?
    Its no surprise to me. I have family on the border with land and drug cartels ext come thru the land everyday.. Only teh past year are these border crossing slowing down.

I travel a lot of my gigs. over 100 fly dates a year... I see it all...
    I was on a few fly dates this week from FLA, NOLA and SOCAL.. In Socal a person in a full cover Burka approached TSA pre screen , The Eye Slot was also covered with reading glasses, It was impossible to identify that person. male or female etc. TSA waved it thru.
    Meanwhile a 7 or 8 year old young girl was stopped with parents then later was patted down and her back pack was searched right in front of me..
    Politically correct garbage is gonna get every messed up.
    So i'm NOT surprised this is happening at all.

As my border patrol bud said. Its Not a matter if IF, But When. .Its coming to a city near you soon. .

bobba66, kobass, Tbone76 and 3 others like this.
  13. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

This was my thought too. Similar threat to the same school... of all the schools in NYC, of all the schools anywhere... unlikely ISIS is targeting THIS one. It was not unheard of for kids at my school to call in bomb threats to get classes canceled, decades before 9/11. You have to be safe and check the threat, of course, but I really doubt there's a bona fide terrorist with your school in the crosshairs. Even self-radicalized attackers don't give this kind of explicit warning - it lowers the body count.

Gorn and GregC like this.
  14. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    It’s my understanding that anyone who qualifies can get a TSA express pass or whatever they call it and avoid much or all of the screening at some airports. I guess Burka wearers should be automatically disqualified from the program.

Anecdotal stories about TSA screening procedures are pretty much worthless and sometimes needlessly inflammatory.

hrodbert696, yodedude2 and GregC like this.
  15. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    I can tell this thread is on its way out, which is fine with me. I’m OK. Was reluctant to even start it cuz of the subject matter.

I’m fine if mods close this even if there hasn’t yet been any breaking of rules. It seems that’s going to be inevitable though.

OldDog52 likes this.
  16. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    When someone starts a thread that specifically mentions threats and deeds claimed or inspired by ISIS, isn’t it pretty much a given that it will not end well?

I would wager that 99.9% of such threats to schools are bogus and probably come from students. Nevertheless it would be very distressing to be on the receiving end.

When I was in grade school in California, we had earthquake evacuation drills, and of course good old “Duck & Cover”. Things are very different now.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  17. btmpancake

btmpancake Gold Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Apollo beach, Florida
    I maybe on the edge of being political but It's a shame that something has to happen before they install metal detectors and bomb sniffing dogs in all our schools but they'll tell you ''we don't have the resources'' - I'm wondering how the Israelis deal with these type issues. I'd have no problem increasing the sales tax 1/2 cent to help fund this. Maybe I shouldn't have posted this but that's how I feel.

Ant Illington likes this.
  18. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    These threats I believe are being taken seriously because they’re being sent via untraceable faxes. Not saying kids aren’t capable of doing that, but it seems a little out of character.

19. Where was ISIS back in 1972 when I needed to get out of that trigonometry test? Kids have it so easy now days.

Pbassmanca and BadJazz like this.
  20. Aberdumbie

Aberdumbie

Jan 22, 2016
    South Carolina
    I sell Construction materials and am looking at blueprints for new schools every day. It hurts my heart that hardened safe rooms are being designed in our public schools now. Hope they find their way in your part of the country soon. Good luck. I hope for the best.

GregC likes this.