Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ok, now I KNOW I'm a doofus

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Oddman545, Feb 25, 2002.

1. Hey, I have a little BP 15 amp and I'd like to get another bigger/better amp where I could play with some of my friends, maybe as a band or something. Well, I just got the musician's friend catalog and under the PA Packages it has a Crate system. Is it for bass or guitar. I know there is a section that's bass amps but there really isn't much there. If it's a guitar thingy, is there anything like that for bass, and about the same price?

Oddman

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hi!
    I'm not sure what you mean.

How about checking with the MF online catalog and you post the link to the item?
    That way we might be able to help you better.

3. ok, BTW: it is a PA system, what is that?

Here's the link for the thing I'm asking about, <a href="http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=020225154032068062160008963060/search/g=bass/detail/base_id/39500"> Here</A>

I don't know if this is for guitar, bass, or if it's something else, (I'm a noob), but it has a box on top and two speaker looking things and I need a better amp and stuff and I saw this and I have no idea what it is. If I'm completely wrong let me know and if I am can you show me something that I could use in that price range?

Oddman

4. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    PA = Public Address System = Vocals, although the more sophisticated and powerful units can handle an entire band sound reinforcement wise. The system you're looking at would be used for vocals, one or two acoustic guitars, and maybe some bongos at a small coffee houses and such. A not all together bad thing, but not what one would typically look for for bass... That site has many bass amps in that particular price range...

-robert

5. ok

6. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
  7. Ok, but what would need? You know, like heads, cabinets, and stuff? I have no idea. Like some of those things (don't know what they are) have a little box on top and a bunch of speakers or cabinets or whatever and stuff connected to that. I really don't know any of that stuff. So what do I need, I know I don't want a combo thing though.

8. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I don't know what to tell you. In that price range, unless you happen to fall into a really sweet deal and know exactly what you're looking for, a combo is the best way to go IMO. Don't get hung up on the separate head, (the little box on top), and cab, (the speakers). Combos can be all that, and more.

If you're determined that a combo isn't the way to go, then the best advice that I could give you in good conscience would be to save your money until you are sure of exactly what you want. Use the time to research gear and learn about how it functions before spending hard earned bread on something that you'll grow out of next week...

-robert

9. Do they make combos that are big enough and cheap enough to play with a couple friends and stuff? I have a combo thing and it's a BP-15. I don't know if you know what that is but it's small. If I get a combo can I add effects and other speakers and stuff to it?

Oddman

10. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    In my previous post, I included four links to combos that would be right up your alley. Three of them are capable of 100W. Yes, you can hook effects up to them. Neither of the Carvins will support an additional speaker, and I don't believe that the Crate's will either.

-robert

11. So if maybe (hopefully) me and my friends got together and played a small (very small) gig, those amps would be big enough for me to play on? Cause I can afford one of those and I might get one. Maybe. I'll keep looking though. Hey, and thanks a whole lot for all your help.

Oddman

12. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Umm... I don't know what you're talking about when you say the Carvin's won't support an additional speaker. If you mean wattage wise or what but they do have an extension speaker out. 2 to speaker exact(counting the one running into the internal speaker)

13. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Yes, definitely.

Just FYI, there ARE combo's much bigger than a BP-15. These are the extremely small and cheap, unlike some of the bigger better combo's.

With a 100 watt combo you could easily fill a small/medium sized room with absolutely no problem. I would recommend the Carvin's even though I have had no experience with them. I have heard basically nothing but BAD things about the Crate's, and basically nothing but GOOD things about the Carvin's.

Based on personal experience, I also recommend some of the Fender combo's as well, such as the Bassman 100 or 200.

14. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    try some of the peavey combos, the peavey tnt 130 is a really good one..

15. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Sorry if I mislead you... Both of the Carvin models that I listed are rated at 100W with a minimum speaker load of 8 ohms, (which they are already pushing as combos)... that being said, each combo does have an 8 ohm speaker out jack, but I have to figure that since the minimum load is also 8 ohms, plugging anything into this jack probably defeats the internal speaker. I may be wrong, but I can't see Carvin actually designing a situation where you can hook another 8 ohm speaker into the amp, create a 4 ohm load, and blow the amp. I haven't looked into it that deeply... Of course, it could be wired so that plugging the aforementioned speaker will generate 16 ohms... :)

-robert