Ok now

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by JWC, May 29, 2001.

1. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    I got my action lowered and now need to raise it a bit. I want to get the strings proportionately even. How much higher should the A string be than the E string to make them level and so on?
  2. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    And one more thang. How far from the fret board should the strings be if I want medium/low action. Not too low, but not high at all.
  3. leftybassdog

leftybassdog Senior Supporting Member

4. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    FENDER P-bass
  5. this is all really subjective. fool around with the string heights until they feel right to you. next, fool around with the pickup heights to get an even sound across all the strings.
  6. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I agree with this - I think the thing to do is experiment to see what suits you best. I do this all the time and will change my setup gradually to see whether it affects my playing for the better or worse and try different strings and gauges, then set up the bass depending on this. Eventually you can get to the point where you know exactly what set up you like - but nobody can do this for you.

Well - a qualified tech will give you a good compromise set up unless you ask for something specific; but my view is that you have to take the time to sort this out for yourself and it will repay the effort in terms of getting the playability exactly how you want.
  8. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    The advantage of a P over a J in this situation is that the string output levels are individually adjustable. So, like dancehallclasher said, you can adjust the saddle heights to your heart's content until the strings *feel* good, then you can adjust the ends of each pickup to balance the string volumes to each other.