Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ok, one last time, question about Speakons

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cb56, Mar 20, 2002.

1. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I really want to bridge my ampeg B4r into my 610hlf. The manual for the amp recommends speakon cables to do this. Every time the subject comes up about these cable evrybody seems to argue about how they should be wired ex. pin 1 goes to such and such pin 2 goes to what not.... hey folks I'm lucky to plug my amp into the wall socket without blowing something up. The manual says (speakon: pin 1+, 2+) is this how they are normaly wired or do I need something specially wired.

My question is If I buy an off the rack speakon cable from musician's friend or Carvin will it work for bridging the B4r into my 810 hlf?

2. ganttbos

ganttbos The Professor Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Think of a 4-way speakon connector (+1,-1 and +2,-2) used with a four-conductor cable as potentially being able to substitute for two speaker cables. Usually the 4-way speakons only use two of the connections though, and result in a single cable that substitutes for a cable with 1/4" or banana connectors. So if the speakon is connected using +1 and -1, it's like having a 1/4" or banana connector (i.e. +1 = tip of 1/4" or non-tab of banana; and -1 = sleeve or ground of 1/4" or tab or ground of banana). If you buy a speakon cable it's usually wired +1 / -1 unless stated otherwise. To bridge a power amp output (using one cab) the speakon must be wired +1 / +2 at the amp end (and
    then +1 / -1 at the cab end). That way the +1 amp output goes to the +1 speaker pole, and the +2 amp output goes to the -1 speaker pole. Think of bridging using a banana if you've done that. The banana would connect across the two red outputs of a two-channel power amp (+1 and +2) instead of red and black as normally done when connecting to one channel only.
    So, NO, if you just buy a speakon cable it won't work to bridge your power amp into one cab. I have a PLX2402 and the top speakon output of the amp is the one to use for bridging (or for channel one when running stereo). I'm not familiar with the B4r but I assume it's similar if it's telling you in the manual to wire the speakon +1/+2.
    Perhaps someone who knows about that amp can chime in about the B4r. I also remember seeing a great post on this topic that included excellent pictures. Try a search. Maybe the guy who posted those pics will see this and direct you to the post.
    Hope this helps. Good luck.
    Gantt