1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ok parents... Need an outside opinion.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MakiSupaStar, May 10, 2010.

1. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yeah Maki, explain the whole thing out with as much of a straight face as you can muster, I mean the whole thing is unique, and if your child is at least showing passion with this, I really don't think it should be stifled... it's an homage to something the other kids will be familiar with, will get a kick out of, and really, it's pretty unique for a 6 year old to do... I go through alot of this currently with my 7 year old son and his "imaginative time" in school. I've had meetings. V:O)

It's not like it's "beans beans the majikal fruit" time, it's an armpit fart. the kids will love it. And the Parents should embrace it for the funny it is...but you know the drill.

2. XtreO

XtreO

Jan 2, 2008
    Norway
    Since everyone is so positive about it, I'm going to take the opposite view. I think you should kill this idea quickly, because if he can't handle the pressure in front of the school, he'll be a laughing stock. And some teacher might find it inappropriate or something. I really can't find any good arguments against going through with it :atoz: I wish I had such balls at 6 :( Imagine the size they'd be now!

3. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I thought you weren't a boy anymore? ;)

kidding.

4. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I'm all for it, but I agree with this:

...because it would be terrible to have him pulled off the stage or met with disapproving looks from teachers that he cares about (&who will continue to see him for a few years). I'm not worried about other kids, but adults can be annoying.

If it's a no-go, I think you should stage some sort of talent show for family and friends (where other people could show off strange but g-rated talents)...and then tape it and post it.

5. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    Parent and teacher here - I agree with the above statement. Excellent backup plan to boot.

The wife, daughter and I watch P&F every morning, FWIW.

6. Demonator

Demonator

Jun 14, 2009
    L.J. Kentucky
    Dean Street Team
    Sounds humorous. Let him do it if he can.

7. My advice:
    Let him do this, but let his teachers or the school know he's going to do it so they don't think he's being disruptive or obscene. I guess. I'm saying, I think that'd be funny as hell, but the school may not think the same.

My opinion.

8. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    This thread is just a thinly veiled attempt to brag about your kid's mastery of the armpit fart. :bag:

I say let that child boogie woogie. He's got a few good years left until armpit hair will impede his prowess. Gotta make hay while the [DEL]son[/DEL] sun shines, you know?

9. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    I would have loved to been able to do something like this at his age. The trouble is that my childhood was in the 60's and Mrs. Reynold's ruler would have slapped me back to the reality of " That is not amusing young man!!!" Plus my poor dad would have had caught hell from my mother to deal with me, as conservative 60's mom's charged their husband's with as a duty, even if he secretly found such a thing funny, to begin with. Alas my mom might have laughed at such shenanigans too , but if the school was upset over something they would have conceded to whatever discipline the school meted out in such a case. Those were different times, yet I think it's more dangerous today.

I'm all for kid's showing creativity, etc, and encouraging it. None the less to you the OP, who is an adult raising your kid, you better man up and prepare yourself to accepting possible consequences from this. Sorry but, in the 60's maybe a bit of scolding, and detention was the worst that most kids got from the uptight school authorities of the day for such 'Tom Foolery' as they called it. Now you have to deal with instant knee jerk disciplinary protocols instituted in many school districts, where overkill is everything due to the fad of ' zero tolerance' that has killed off critical thinking and sound judgement on a discretionary basis dealing with issues that involve kids these days. While the adults I grew up under were hard nosed and tough at times, they had a hell of a lot more common sense than what I see today from some school boards in these supposedly more enlightened times.

I can't tell you what would happen if your kid goes through this. Most adults would find it harmless and funny and leave it that. I know I would. Most likely nothing would happen in an adverse way. Yet you might run into a storm of idiots, ( Usually only takes one idiot to whine and get the ball rolling.) who get their thrills from being offended from any silly thing, and making sure they raise an enormous stink over what offends them, It's their personal hobby to bitch and whine, about smaller things that they see as a life mission to eradicate from society, so be warned.

10. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Love it! Our six-year-old is a big Phineas and Ferb fan, so I know that song well. His 12-year-old cousin showed him the armpit fart the other day, and he was on the floor laughing. I say let him do it. If the teachers have a problem with it, then they need to lighten up. :cool:

11. TallLankyBastyd

TallLankyBastyd

Jan 31, 2007
    Seattle
    I don't even need to read any of this thread to answer this for you...

BEAT THEM!

Yardstick, broom handle, cutting board,... hell... if you swing the phone on its cord just right you can get some devastating smackage!

Spare the rod... spoil the child... or some such cr@p!

Wail away Maki!!!

;)

12. I think it's brilliant and am 100% behind the idea! My son has a very similar sense of humor and would not think twice about doing the very same thing - and I'd support him 100% as well with one hard-core caveat - he's ONLY going to have my support for the act being performed AT THE TALENT SHOW. If he starts doing encores in class, there'll be hell to pay fo sho.

My wife, on the other hand, would object outright. She just doesn't appreciate real talent when she sees... uh, hears it.

BTW - Phineas and Ferb = good cartoon. I have to say there are a LOT of really well done, kid-centric cartoons around these days.

13. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Freakin Awesome!

And Maki, yes, let your kid do the armpit fart. As a musician, you know full well, he may need a mic so the armpit fart really carries over well.

I encourage my nieces to be themselves. They were at my house last week after my grandmothers funeral. The youngest didnt have a change of clothes, so she wore some princess/fairy outfit. And Sunday, after spending the day at Knotts Berry Farm, she threw her burger at my brother for stealing her fries. Its good to be 4.

14. Hell, take it to the next level and back him up on bass! That theme song is a pretty cool ska groove that would be a kick to play!

15. EBodious

EBodious

Aug 2, 2006
    Iowa
    sounds like great fun. please video the performance. i think that advanced warning to his teacher and principal is the way to go, so as to head off anyone who is offended.

and, i have posted this before, but it seems plenty appropriate here. and maybe it can lend some legitimacy to "body humor."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Pétomane

16. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    My wife would violently object, but I say let 'em rip!!! :)

17. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    Has anyone seen Perry?

18. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    It's a platypus. They don't do much, you know.

19. Whatcha dooooin?

20. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California

oh god, my sister says that every time she walks up to anyone now. "Annoying" doesn't quite cover it :D