1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ok parents... Need an outside opinion.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MakiSupaStar, May 10, 2010.

1. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Hahahaha. :D

2. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to the talk to the teacher/principal and make sure they're ok with it. Tzer brought up a great point. I need to remind him that there's a time and place for this. In the classroom is not one of them.

3. EBodious

EBodious

Aug 2, 2006
    Iowa
  4. billjr

billjr

Jul 25, 2006
    Darlington, SC
    I have absolutely no problem getting the humor, and would be laughing like crazy at your son doing armpit farts during a song, however I do not think it would be appropriate at a school talent show.

5. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Why not? Its better than some of the curiculum theyre teaching kids these days...

6. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
  7. billjr

billjr

Jul 25, 2006
    Darlington, SC
    That is just a bit too crass for me to accept at a "talent" show at school. Now if it were a comedy/variety show, that would be different. That's the format I would use, because it would give more kids an opportunity to participate, and maybe start to develop some talent by acting in some skits, etc. Just how much talent can there be at that age, anyway.

8. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Ask Drew Barrymore.

9. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Let him do it. Every school needs "that kid."

10. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    So...none?

11. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    lol, its not about talent

12. I think you should get him a mic and let him plug into your bass rig, then parade him around various bars showing off his armpit fart skills.

People will pay money to hear Freebird armpit farted out to millions. Maybe you should accompany him too!
    :D

13. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Plugged in for the possible future vid.

I say let him do it without asking permission. Teachers and principals can get pretty uptight about things. I know, cuz I do. By asking, you and yer son might ruin an awesome opportunity for some serious youtube (and talkbass) fame. :)

14. DO IT!

lowsound

15. Maki:

I would SO let my own son do that if he were so inclined. However, at the moment his repertoire seems to be limited to smartass comments.

16. Seriously, a tough question. My 9yo likes to dress to her own drummer. The only rules that we as parents enforce are: 1) The school rules, which are well known & published, and 2) Appropriate to the weather. This leads to some interesting color & pattern choices, but I am wiling to back her on them.

In your situation, I would ask the school for the rules, both general and show specific. If you see something in there about "offensive", ask them to be specific. Don't give anything away.

After all, armpit farts are very different from dropping trou and letting a real one fly. And while an adult might not be amused by an AF, a 6yo knows the difference between real and fake.

Other than the school rules, I say go for it. And let us know the results, video included in the "Farting on stage" section. I for one will probably laugh like an idiot.

edg

17. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Well...there used to be around here a local band called Spider Monkey. They traveled up and down the east coast for years as one of the highest grossing unsigned bands around. They made a LOT of money. The high point of the show was the front mans armpit solo.

You could be sitting on a gold mine.

18. DeluxeRed

DeluxeRed

Jun 2, 2009
    The star of my high-school Jazz Band was a keyboard wiz that played many instruments, many non-traditional. I remember a school show piece he did that was "Concerto for Vacuum Cleaner with Orchestra", where he proceeded to make a tank vacuum squeal like a pig, among other, much ruder noises, by putting his hands and fingers over the end of the tube. He was actually able to play it in key, along with the orchestra, and it was a big hit.

Now I know this was H.S., but I'd just bet he started with AFUtA's as a kid, and I bet his parents encouraged his "creativity". I say go for it. No one's going to come down on some kid for doing something his parents said was OK--and if they do, you must be there to defend him. They might come down on you, however, so be prepared (I wouldn't give a hoot, myself, what they thought, but I'm special.)

For those of you not familiar with it, Carlin has a routine (off Class Clown, iIrc), about AFUtA's. Recommended listening.

19. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    You may want to supply the lad with some armpit fart enhancing goo of some sort. It would be a real shame if he went for it and it didn't work out.

Some experimentation may be in order to find the perfect substance to insure a good seal between hand and armpit. (I'm thinking maybe blister packets of mayo.......)

20. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    It is zero surprise to me that you have technical advice to offer on the subject of armpit farts. :)