Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ok people, do i really need 16 mins of loop time?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Sep 6, 2004.

1. so, thats my question.
    i am looking at the RC20(XL maybe?), and the Akai E2. the only real difference is the loop time (as far as what i can see) and i was just wondering if anyone here actually finds they need a lot of loop time, like over 35 seconds.

Thanks,
    Charlie

2. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    no. hahahaha. The Boomerang has 4 minutes, and it's $400.

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I was using the ZVex analog loopers for a while, which only do 20 seconds. It wasn't nearly enough, but they sounded great. I believe that the RC20 is the best looper out there, and I've pretty much tried them all.

Or, if you really want to go nuts, get one of these.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    depends on what you're doing.

I think the Boomerang is a great pedal, especially for layering loops live.

But my requirements included keeping loops on power off, which I don't think the Boomerang does (correct me if I'm wrong, anyone)

I bought an RC-20, thinking I'd never need five minutes. Very soon, we found lots of uses for it within the band for drum loops, samples etc and I found myself hitting up against the limit. So, I sold it and bought the XL.

5. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    I want to play the song "The Fish" from the Yes album "Fragile". To do this, I would create a loop that is 6-7 seconds long on the fly and add sequentially add 7-10 overdubs on the same loop.

Can I do this with just the ME-50b?

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I can't see myself using it, but I also couldn't see myself using a Digitech BP50 or a Dunlop Crybaby -- but I just used both today for a soundscape thing for school, and I found a perfect combination of light distortion and a patch on the Digitech that's perfect for Santana-esque kind of guitar (not the Santana tone, just that KIND of genre). I also use the Wah all the time now (I find it really seems to lengthen the sustain of harmonics for some reason).

Right now, I couldn't see myself even using four minutes of looping time, but I know if I had it, I'd end up making full use of it and soon outgrow it -- 16 minutes of loop time seems to be just about as much as I'd EVER need, so you never know. I'd be more concerned with how many layers you could put on, and the sound quality of said layers. If I was spending a few hundred on a looping pedal, it'd better have the ability to do at least 5 or 6 loops without any significant loss in volume/quality.

7. Samurai

Samurai

Sep 13, 2003
    California
    The ME-50B only has 2.8 seconds of loop time.

8. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    the RC-20 doesn't lose any tone quality when overdubbing, but it really does if you change the tempo after it's been recorded. it sounds really weird and warbly, although i guess if you're going to be changing the tempo of a loop you might want it to sound like that