ok..people who say blink is not punk

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by punkbassrox, Sep 1, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. punkbassrox

punkbassrox Guest

Aug 31, 2001
    Buffalo, NY USA
    YEs i agree, the term "punk" rock has taking its share of changing over the but like as does all music....and just because a band gets played on the radio and on MTV doesnt mean that they sold out or arent punk, punk isnt just a indie bassed thing...... if u can listen to blink and tell me they are not punk then i got afew words for you but i cant posst them here.........blink 182 and other bands, the so called "pop punk" just paved the way for otehr punk bands to get their shyt listened 2.......a band that sounds punk and seels only a few thousand copies of a record and a band that sounds punk and sells millions of copies are the same, they are STILL PUNK.....just because people heard some blink 182 and liked it doesnt mean they sold out.....they are still punk rock 2 the core......i ahte the label pop punk, because all it is saying is that a certain punk band got popular.......blink 182 is a new age punk, punk to what it has become......and it will change again over the years, like ALL MUSIC DOES.........if someone is going to tell me, blink 182, good charlotte, sum 41, NFG, etc..... isnt punk, the open your ears, and listen to the f---ing music man............
  2. i dont like any of those..
  3. melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    Ok I ignored your last thread to avoid getting in trouble but Im gonna have to talk on this one.

The bands you said arent punk. Why? Listen to them man, its more pop emo than anything. Why do I say its not punk? Because punk is something different. Its doing things because you think its cool, not because someone else will think its cool. Those bands, theyre just doing stuff to look cool in someones eyes. Plus they sound like a rip off of NoFX with pop lyrics.

Another thing the good punk has always seemed to have politicaly influenced lyrics. (thats what I hear in lots of songs) Those bands are talking about girls and how bad they were treated in high school. Im sure Blink couldnt tell you a thing about politics.

Oh and I think if all the punks I know, and probably all the underground punk scene, the real punks that is, think the pop punk bands have sold out, I think it means theyve sold out.

Sure Blink and Sum41's old stuff was punk, but now I think the money is their main focus.

Sorry to all the moderators if I broke any rules. I will gladly delete this if Im told or feel the need to.
  4. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    I just wish they would take a few years off and learn how to play music! That bass player is horrible! And i think he should be shot for that pink bass!
  5. melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    Oh I know! :mad: Everyones like "Dude get a pink bass so you can be cool" it pisses me off.
  6. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I call them puck rockers, but i don't call them music. I just dislike them.
  7. BassistJ

Mar 20, 2001
    Hemet, CA USA
    Oh man...you can practically smell this thread being closed from the other side of the comp. BUt before it does, I'm gonna drop my two cents like a bomb over Heroshima (Spl?). Pop punk is probably the best term for bands like Blink 182. They stopped having an semblence to the punk frame of mind and lifestyle the minuet they started accepting clothing sponserships and writting albums By Comittee. And don't give me this "Well, they play old punk songs, so they must be punk". Two quick examples;
    1.) My bop/fusion quartet Holding Pattern occasionally likes to fool around with old Sex Pistols tunes. Does that make us punk?
    And my killing point...
    2.) Motley Crue did a cover of that one Sex Pistols song, I forget its name.

Personally, I would'nt want to associate myself to Motly Crue...
  8. BasketCase

Jan 1, 2001
    Punk is an attitude.
    That attitude does not include landing hit videos on TRL.
    But a band can still sound 'punk' but not be real punk.

just my two cents.
  9. Bass18

Bass18 Guest

Jul 21, 2001
    Melvin, you are so narrow minded in your definition of punk. I'm assuming you are saying the only punk bands are like Bad religion and ones that talk about politics.
    A punk band can talk about whatever the f**k it wants, I mean NoFX have songs about clams having feelings and the troubles of archaelogical digs, and dont try and tell me they arent punk. In case you have had your head buried in the sand, their are generally different categories of punk. 'Hardcore' or 'old school' is the type of punk that usually has politics in their lyrics, and have a harder sound than other types of punk. This is as they usually stray from the traditional major scale normal punk relies on. I am guessing old school punk ala Bad Religion or Descendents is the type you are talking about in your post.
    Regular punk ala old school Blink 182 is as much punk as old school type punk, just they use different methods in song writing. They tend to talk about different issues, teenage issues. They rely on the major scale for most of their songs and have a more 'happy' feel than a hardcore type song.
    The third type of punk is new school punk. It is generally similar to regular punk except they usually have a dedicated singer (he is not playing an instrument) and they use a harmonic effect on the guitar. This effect requires 2 guitars, the first guitar plays the root notes of the chord progression and the other guitar plays a special chord that is similar to a power chord except you mute the middle string and take it back 2 frets to create something looking like this.

This is played higher than the root chord.

New school has a very soft sound to it and is very popular in punk now.
    There are many other styles such as punk-ska but these three are the main three.
    Punk is not classified as something you think is cool or not. If that were the case, Is Eminem punk because he doesnt care what others think and thinks what he does is cool? No. Sure thinking what you do is cool is part of punk, but punk is defined by the MUSIC, not by the attitude.
  10. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    This isn't about Bassists, so I'm sending it to...
  11. LimpChunk9

May 8, 2001
    Bronx, NY
    Bass18 summed it up nicely. Good Job.
  12. I agree, bands like Offspring and Blink have sold out. The early stuff was good, but then as soon as REAL money became involved they adopted a much more commercial sound.

Real punk would play the music they like regardless of how well it would sell.

Proper punk bands are groups like the Ramones, The Clash, the Sex Pistols...ummm, Joy Division (maybe, some of it is punky) groups like that.
  13. But Blinks music doesn't even have a punk sound.
  14. As much as I HATE blink-182/ sum41/ nfg/ american hifi/ sr71/ ..well, they're pretty much clones of eachother so that list will suffice.

Anway, I don't think those bands have "sold out". Selling out means you changed your music for money. Those bands haven't changd their music, they're just doing what their intent was.

Their intent was to--
    make lots of money,
    look pretty,
    have a fan base of spoiled 9 year old girls,
    exploit a word (in this case; 'punk'),
    and to make as much money as they can while their 15 minutes is still here.

We'll all probably forget about Blink in a couple years. Remember Fenix TX? Yeah, i didn't either. They're one hit wonders. All those pop/punk bands have been on tv and media 24/7 but they'll be forgotten fast.
    Now just take Op Ivy into example. They were only around for about 2 years in '89 and there are still millions of their fans listening to that one cd they released.

Blink/"insert other mtv blink clone here"/"and here" never sold out and are marketing geniuses.
  15. lemonadeisgood

Aug 22, 2001
    Punk isnt happy. Period.

The Ramons, Sex Pistols, Vandals, Bad Brains, Amen, Black Halo's, Suicidal Tendancies and Snot are just SOME of the actual REAL punk bands.

Blink 182, NFG and Sum 41 is NOT punk. Its not just an opinion, its common sense.
  16. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Guys, guys... don't let your world be defined by genres... let it go.
  17. melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    Well I guess that political part came out wrong, seeing I used "most" rather than "lots". It shouldve said "It seem lots of the good punk bands seem to..." Im not saying punk has to be political, seeing many the punks bands I listen to arnt. But still saying I have a narrow minded in what I think is punk, thats funny for me. Even thinking Im narrow minded in ANYTHING is funny.

And how is it that Blink is "regular" punk, and that people who have been in the punk scene since the begining is "oldschool" punk. The punk bands from the 70s should never be called oldschool punk, I mean they invented the whole damn thing (well actually The Who did but I doubt most whove posted in this thread agree)

But I guess what Im really saying is Blink182 lost the punk.
  18. Blink 182 circa 1995-98= Punk

Blink 182 circa 99-present=Pop

Punk is not about appearing on teen beat, and having special promotions with such stores as Grand & Toy, and Wal-Mart.

Blink used to be punk but the Travis came and since then they have sold themselves and their image to anything that shows green, that is not punk. And Sum 41, grew up right beside Toronto, they were never really punk, and they said themselves they do not consider themselves punk, SR-71 dont even get me started on.

New Found Glory from my Canadian Knowledge has not sold themselves and do not have an audience of 8 year olds at least in Canada, they can pass for Pop-Punk. I went to a Good Riddance show with Death by Stereo last night, now that is punk, I advise any of u thinking Blink are still punk to check out a show like this, and your opinion of who is punk will definetly change.
  19. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.