Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ok... phaser?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Marson, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Ok , I need to know what is the use / need of a phaser? what can you do with it what does it sound like etc etc.... wat style of music is it used for?

2. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    THE song the demostrates what a phaser can do on bass is "For The Love Of Money" by The O'Jays (off their "Ship Ahoy album, I think 1974).

Bass genius Anthony Jackson came up with such a great bass line that he was credited as a co-song writer.

His advanced pick techinque is awsome.

3. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Listen to Tony Levin and you'll know what a phaser is good for!

It's also fun to use on really high settings for a tremelo-like sound. It's fun on really low settings to use as a huge swell sound. Check out the song "One More Red Nightmare" by King Crimson too.

4. Thanx alot help appreciated, do u think it would fit into a metal setting?

5. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

One of the most beautiful compositions for the bass guitar (IMO) is Victor Wooten's "More Love". This song, as recorded in "A Show Of Hands", features a really cool phaser effect throughout. This, combined with the piezo sound of Vic's tenor bass and a subtle delay, are the key components that enhance the song's inherent beauty. If you want to fall in love with the phaser effect, don't miss "More Love"!

6. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Yeah, I think it could quite well.

7. if your in a prog band id consider it a must but in metal maybe for intros/bridges but not for a whole line

8. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    Alvaro, you should write advertising copy.

9. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

:D Now that you mention it, looks funny. Thank you for the comment, dharma! :)

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Yep, that's my jam. I'm in a trippyish metal band, and I only use the phaser for spacey parts.

11. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    And it was the cadence that got me. You sound like a pro.

12. well its a prog metal band. so ill see if i could borrow or rent one from somewhere and ill see.

13. GREAT example of an MXR phase 101 can be heard on The Mars Volta's live album "Scab Dates" during track 6 (Concertina) in the 2nd verse...when i use my phaser (roland AP-2), its either for that type of sound, or to add a nice spaced out sound to some fingerstyle funk

14. PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog

Aug 25, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    "Stranglehold" by Ted Nugent, really cool Phase Shifter sound.

15. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    So does "One More Red Nightmare" by King Crimson.

16. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I ran a clip I recently recorded for another thread through a phaser, just so you can get an idea of what they sound like without the clutter of other instruments going on. This is kind of a mild setting, and the cool thing about phasers is that you can get some really out-there effects if you crank some of the parameters.

Here's a link to the original thread if you want to hear the samples without the phaser.

17. CallMeBlind

CallMeBlind

Jul 19, 2003
    France
    SuperDuck,which phaser is it?

Btw, any mu-tron phaser users? I know they have at least 2 of them.

18. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    It's a VST plugin I was using in Cubase. It's called the Classic Phaser and is made by Kjaerhus Audio. They have a sweet collectino of free(!) plugins like the Classic Phaser, Classic Chorus, Classic Compressor, etc. They're all pretty decent too. They typically give you a lot of control over the sound, which is a good thing as opposed to have only one or two knobs to tweak.

[​IMG][/IMG]

19. CallMeBlind

CallMeBlind

Jul 19, 2003
    France
    Wow, great great, thanks!

20. Thanx for the input guys helped alot.