Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ok please be nice i'm new. p-ups for bass ...shape and tone.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by haplo07, May 16, 2002.

1. haplo07

haplo07 Guest

Apr 13, 2002
    Tinley Park, IL
    Hi i just started on bass and i've been reading in the threads here and there, but i don't get some things especially on p-ups for bass. i know somewhat the p-up shapes, but what tones are characterised with what shape? and how do preamps fit in with bass vs on a guitar? i know this is a different instrument with it's own way of being approached to playing than a guitar with it's own characteristics and in so trying to keep this healthy attitude i am trying to learn all i can, so if you guys would be so kind to give me your insight in this area of p-ups i would appreciate it. in advance to all who post i want to say thank you. again, i am new, so please be nice, and please don't hate the guitar player.:)

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I
    .I

The Precision pickup is that shape to balance the strings, some think it does some think not.

Also the P bass pup is a split single coil wired as a humbucker.

These contribute to the sound.

I I
    I I

The Jazz bass has two single coils but when you have both on they act as a humbucker.

Guitars have a simple tone control(s) that rolls off treble so it's 'flat' full on (actually it's not and changing the cap value can make the instrument brighter/duller).

Passive basses normally use this system. An active bass will normally have a treble and bass knob (separate or stacked) with a centre click. This is the flat position-back off to cut and dime to boost.

Some basses have a mid knob or switches or passive options/backups. Some basses have a parametric mid.

Active basses tend to 'honk' for a better word whilst passive basses are warmer or duller.

I personally use a bass cos I like it regardless of how many pups or electrics.

Hope this helps.