1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

OK, pretty stupid question here...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by stratovani, Apr 9, 2010.

1. ...and I won't be surprised if no one answers. So, here goes!

Does anyone know of a good dog laxative? Our little Papillon doggie hasn't done her doodie in a couple of days, and it got me wondering if dogs can get constipated, and what can be done about it!

Well, there it is! A potential candidate for "strangest post on TB"!

2. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    White Castle? It works for me.

3. billhilly66

billhilly66

Aug 25, 2007
    Plano, TX
    exlax works pretty good on dogs. I had one chew up a box one time. Took forever to clean the house.

4. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Liquorice Root Tablets, from a health food store, or shredded cabbage will do the trick, I hear mango helps as well.

5. playinpearls

playinpearls

Apr 1, 2008
    Atlanta
    yeah, mango works good...

6. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    How To Treat Constipation in Dogs: Dog Symptoms and Treatment

Use These Dog Health Tips to Help Your Pet

grace.
    By Grace Bloodwell

Everyone has those days where you just don't feel "regular." Canines do too. Canine constipation is a condition that, while not usually life-threatening, can be immobilizing, uncomfortable, and painful for dogs. Here is how to recognize the dog symptoms and what you can do to help alleviate, and better yet, prevent, canine constipation. If you feel your dog's diet may be to blame, then I suggest you check out Going Rawr! A Complete Guide to Putting Your Dog on a Raw Food Diet - yes, it can be done; and yes, it's good for your dog! Here's how to recognize and treat constipation in dogs:
    1. How to recognize canine constipation. Your dog may have constipation if she has any of the following conditions: Straining to have a bowel movement without any "results," stiff stools, prolonged periods of time in between movements but frequent attempts to defecate, bloating, yelping or signs of discomfort during bowel movements, and/or loss of appetite.
    2. Who suffers from canine constipation? All breeds and any age of dog can have a bout with constipation, however, older dogs are more prone to the condition. Younger pups who eat things they should not be eating also are apt to have defecating problems, as well as any dog who is fed certain types of "people food" from the table. Foods that contain flour, excess sugar, rice, dairy, and foods high in protein are leaders in the constipation competition. Thus, feeding Fido meat, cookies, ice cream, and leftover Chinese food is not a good idea. Additionally, make sure your pet does not have access to objects that may block the colon or bowels. Notorious blockers are coins, buttons, keys, and anything a puppy might decide to munch on.
    3. Common causes of dog constipation:
      • Lack of fiber. Most dogs that suffer from constipation do not have enough fiber in their diets. A simple solution to this is to give them dog food high in fiber or to supplement their meals with fiber.
      • Dehydration. Dogs, like humans, need liquid to jump-start their bodies. If your pooch does not have enough water during the day, she may become constipated. Solve this by always having the doggie water dish full of fresh water. Try adding water directly to the food as well.
    4. Dog Supplements: Supplements are available for canines with a constipation problem. You can find companies like "The Natural Canine" that specialize in holistic solutions to constipation and other ailments that dogs can experience. These supplements have additives such as acidophilus, folic acid, and vegetable enzymes, all which can be cures to canine constipation. Again, seek a vet's guidance before you change the diet of your dog. dog-laxative.
    5. Dog Laxatives. Giving your dog a mild laxative, if advised by your vet, can solve the problem. Smaller dogs, obviously, will require smaller amounts than larger dogs, so make sure you get the correct dosage from a professional.
    6. Enema. Although it is not a pleasant thought, your dog might need an enema. Have your vet explore this option.
    7. Milk of Magnesia. A small dose of Milk of Magnesia milk might do the trick for Fido. Ask your vet, however, before administering anything to your dog.
    8. Canned Pumpkin. If you don't want to give your pup laxatives, this treatment for a constipated dog is a home remedy that may be the perfect solution. Adding canned pumpkin to your dog's meal might produce a successful movement. A small dosage of 1/8 a teaspoon might do the trick for a small Bichon Frise, while a larger portion will be needed for a German Shepherd. Ask your vet about this solution.
    9. Wheat Bran. Adding wheat bran to every meal can regulate your dog's system.
    10. Megaproblem: Megacolon. Megacolon is a condition in which the dog (or any animal) cannot discharge waste successfully. An animal with a megacolon has an inflamed colon that cannot operate normally. This can be a serious condition, so if you sense your dog has more than just a bout of constipation, seek a vet's guidance.
    As you can see, there are many dog treatment options for a constipated dog. The above remedies might provide relief to your pooch, however, the best solution is prevention. Even if you have a "regular" dog, you should practice proper dog health and keep your best friend free from constipation by giving her regular exercise, plenty of water, and a diet full of fiber. Even though she is your best friend, avoid giving her table scraps. Ice cream, cookies, bread and excess meat will may make her happy in the present, but will cause her discomfort in the near future.
    Additional Tips: Whatever the age of your dog, visiting off leash dog parks can help socialize and exercise your dog.

Related Videos
    [​IMG]
    How to Start Training Your Dog
    [​IMG]
    How to Get Your Dog to Sit
    [​IMG]
    How To Give Your Dog Medicine
    [​IMG]
    How To Clean Your Dog's Ears
    [​IMG]
    How to Prepare Your Dog for Summer

By 5min Life Videopedia

Required Tools:
    Veterinarian

Caution:
    Always seek the advice of a veterinarian prior to administering any medicine, supplements, or before altering your dog's diet.

Didn't find what you're looking for?

Comments

What this author fails to do is mention that there are other life-threatening conditions that can cause straining to defecate. Not the least of which is prostate issues (prostatic cancer, benign prostatic hyperplasia, etc.). Also, the author notes that megacolon is inflammation of the colon - it is not. There is a problem with nerve innervation of the colon that causes it to distend, although this is VERY uncommon in dogs - it is fairly common in cats. On the positive side, the author does note a good diet and exercise are part of helping minimize this problem - and it is.

7. Are you sure it's constipation and not intestinal blockage?

8. EBodious

EBodious

Aug 2, 2006
    Iowa
    there are no stupid questions, just smart-aleck answers

like...
    maybe you should stick your finger up there and find out.

:bag:

9. I don't know yet. We're generally pretty careful about what we give her to eat. I'll try some of the suggestions in RWP's post and see what happens. If nothing happens over the weekend then a trip to the vet might be in the offing.

Thanks for the post, RWP. Much appreciated!

10. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    Hope it helps, I hate to see my pooches not feeling well.

11. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Not for nuthin' but, an intestinal blockage or bloat will kill a dog quicker than just about anything else. You might want to get to a vet.

12. HollowBassman

HollowBassman

Jun 24, 2007
    Hancock, MD
    New carpet.

13. ^ This

14. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    get a new carpet

EDIT- d'oh!! Hollowbassman beat me to it.

15. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Refried beans.

16. DblG

DblG

Apr 27, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    One of my college professors always said there was no such thing as a stupid question...just stupid people who ask questions. :D

In all seriousness, +1 to getting checked out by a vet for Bloat:

Gastric Dilatation and Volvulus (GDV): Bloat, Twisted Stomach, Gastric Torsion

Affected Animals: Dogs of any breed. However, large breeds built with deep chests and narrow abdomens, such as the Great Dane, Mastiff, Irish setter, golden and Labrador retriever, and the Irish wolfhound, are more prone to getting bloat. Smaller breeds such as the dachshund, Lhasa Apso, and poodle may also develop the illness.

Information and Overview: Any dog that shows signs of bloat, a serious and potentially fatal illness, should receive emergency veterinary medical care immediately. Clinically known as gastric dilation, bloat occurs when a dog's stomach becomes so swollen with gas that it is unable to relieve the pressure. As the stomach becomes distended, it often rotates on its axis. This volvulus, or twisting, cuts off blood flow to the stomach and often the spleen as well, and is thus clinically known as gastric dilatation and volvulus, or GDV. A dog with GDV can experience a number of potentially fatal complications, including septic shock, a perforated stomach, massive blood loss, and disruption of the blood clotting mechanisms. The exact cause of bloat is unknown. Large breeds of dogs built with big chests and narrow abdomens are more commonly affected. Excitable dogs, as well, are at risk since the stomach can develop bloat by filling with air during high-energy type activities such as barking, panting, excitement, and swallowing air while exercising.

(copied from http://www.veterinaryassociates.net/gastric-dilatation.htm)

Good luck.

17. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    I was going to mention gastric torsion. You'll need a vet to sort this one out.

18. Good news! This morning while on our morning walk she dropped a nice load! Guess we don't have to worry about it for the time being!:)

Oh, and I picked it up (with a small plastic shopping bag, of course) and disposed of it. I'm a responsible doggie owner. Besides, I hate stepping in it as much as the next guy!:spit:

19. Oh, and thanks to everyone for the good replies. It amazes me what you can learn on TB!

20. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    Glad it all worked out in the end. :D