1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ok,, probably a retorical question,,, but ,,,,,,,

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by lefty5, Nov 4, 2013.

1. lefty5

lefty5

May 13, 2010
    north carolina
    my wife has been using an old behringer 10" tilt back cab bass amp for small gigs and a stage monitor,,it about to puke so i found a GK backline 110
    for 75 bucks ,,BUT it needs a speaker,, someone kindly mashed the center in on the speaker thats is in it.. i looked around and a paragon direct fit is about 85 to 90 bucks... so lets say i got 160 dollars in this amp.. is this a deal or a dud? and is there a better speaker for this cab that is sweeter sounding for upright bass, she plays a 57 kay,black labella strings , bluegrass and folk music.

thanks
    terry m

2. Hi Terry.

Is it just the dust cap that is dented or is the whole cone damaged?

If the former, the speaker is possibly usable with just a new dust cap or even the old one may be salvageable.

No personal experience about the said GK, but usually the speaker in the more budget oriented amps (/cabs) is the weakest link, so upgrading that isn't a bad idea.
    For that price tough, I would have to be sure that the rest of the amp doesn't need any work.

As You probably know already, the speaker has to match the tuning of the cab so choosing the most suitable one will involve some modeling.
    All that is needed for the modeling software is the internal dimensions of the cab though, and the dimensions of the port(s), if any.
    Of course at least the basic Thiele/Small parameters of the driver has to be known as well for predictable performance.

Regards
    Sam

3. lefty5

lefty5

May 13, 2010
    north carolina
    the speaker i was quoted was a factory replacement for this cab from GK.. i was just wondering if these little amps are worth 160 investment or is that high

terry m

4. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    You'd just have to see what a similar used combo would cost.

The SWR Workingman 10" combo, which used to be abundantly available in that price range was quite good for very little money used.

There are certainly better solutions for a lot more money, but there are some good buys in that range. They largely depend on what is near you that you can check out.

5. RS66LB

RS66LB

Dec 29, 2012
    Connecticut
    ...without getting too in depth with T/S parameters and such try out the Eminence Alpha 10, simply put this speaker works rather well in the Backline 110 enclosure, basically it exhibits good sensitivity (loud with little power) and handles around double the output of the Backline 110 (150 watt speaker driven by the Backlines 75 watt amp) plus at around $55 it's relatively inexpensive

6. bassdog

bassdog

May 23, 2005
    Atlanta, Ga
    I have one and love it but it is not very gig worthy. Great practice amp and living room jam type situations. I have used it in low volume rehearsal too. Just don't push it too hard. Also, beware of under powering your replacement speaker.

Bob

7. John Chambliss

John Chambliss Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Watch for used ones and sales. I like the GK MB112 and 115 for double bass.

8. Hi.

Like I said in my earlier post, if You know the amp is in a good shape otherwise, it might be a reasonable investment.
    Not a killer deal IMO though.

If there's no guarantee of the shape the amp is in, I'd forget it.

These amps seem to be more expensive than I would've thought, but GK has a good reputation and that reflects into the re-sale value. As it should.

:), I was going to suggest that one as well, but since I kinda push that little gem every chance I get, I waited for someone else to bring it up.

For some it may sound like the eqvivalent of smearing some lipstick on a pig to make it prettier, but upgrading the original speaker with DeltaliteII elevates that little amp to new heights.

Something IMO worth mentioning as well, is that the early run of the TDA hybrid chip they used on the WM10 amp is failure prone, but the replacement procedure is rather DIY friendly and the chip itself costs ~$10.
    So the broken ones offer a great opportunity for saving money.
    That's how I ended up with mine BTW ;).

Regards
    Sam

9. lefty5

lefty5

May 13, 2010
    north carolina
    the guy says the chassis and body on this one are near mint and the electronics and buttons all seem fine,, but those things you never know about until you try it... in the pic, it looks like new... but like you said 160 might be an ok deal ,,plus my labor to swap it out... i will look around some more...
    thanks guys ,,, i will let you know what happens.

terry m

10. banikek

banikek

Sep 14, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I just sold an old 110 backline kickback amp for $100. It had the original speaker in it. I found it to be only so-so with my upright. So I don't believe you will ever get your $160 back out if you decide to sell some day. That being said, if the cab and new speaker works for you, then go ahead. They are nice little compact combos and might just be what you are looking for.