1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

OK, So Call Me a Sissy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bongolation, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    And a cheap sissy, at that.

Small, light, short-scale -- maybe great for practicing lying in bed.

Friend got one for his daughter a while back and said he was surprised at the high quality -- Cor-Tek contract built (what Korean axe isn't now?), Grovers, DD pickups -- and told me I was nuts to pass up this at the price, especially considering my left hand orthopedic problems.

Too bad I couldn't get the lavender purple one.

2. Hey, I like the color. if you painted it black or sunburst, it would automatically fit into the rather nice world of "manly" hollowbody short-scales. But the Stormy blue is unusual. I'd play one...looks like a great buy to me!

In fact, it makes my credit card itch......

3. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    cheap sissy

4. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Well, judging by your forum name, you already play a Bongo.

Your are ridiculed enough already playing one of those, so I don't think anything can embarrass you more.

Just kidding. My evil twin wrote that part. :eyebrow:

Those blue Daisy Rock aren't that bad or sissy looking, but for a real treat I would recommend going for a Beatles Bass copy, like a Rogue or Jay Turser . . . all around $200 bones and they sound, play and look like $200 million. No embarrassment, and they will instantly make you seem cooler than what you are.

;)

5. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Just play the Bongo in bed! :D

6. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Bongo drums. The name predates the introduction of that MM instrument.

I'm not sure that's even possible. [cough!]

My snazzy basses (vintage and modern) are pretty cool, but I just wanted a small, light shortscale for idle bedroom plunking.

The long deal on them Beatle-basses has gone by forever; MF recently had the last of the Korean Cor-Tek built ones blown out for $149.99, and now these replacements are Chinese and cost more, I am informed.

7. Bongo on the bog. It's made for it. It even forms part of the name. Natural companions.

Walnut

8. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    You're a sissy.

9. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    As long as you're a gigging sissy...noone will care. hey I bought a semi hollowbody to help with my shoulder.
    If it plays well who cares.

10. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    Daisy Rock! HAHA I like it. :D
    $99 how can you go wrong?

11. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I just realized that this is yet another example of my "Blue Guitar Law" which states that if you can stand a blue guitar, you can eventually find 'em cheap. Blue guitars always wind up in the blowout bin. They're ugly enough to be offputting to most people but not ugly enough to get irony points with wiseasses. I've been watching this for decades...and have accumulated some nice blue instruments for near-nothing.

They don't go out in public, though. :smug:

12. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Wasn't the bass player with The Black-Eyed Peas playing one of the weirder Daisy Rocks when they first came out?

13. The little Daisy Rock Elite is nicely made bass. They should offer it in some other colors for the young male market. That bass in black with some interesting inlays or graphics would probably sell like crazy.

14. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    And ditch the name "daisy rock".

15. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    But, dewwwwwd! It's for grrrrls! :D

I'd be curious to know who's behind this.

It's all the same anyway: A few people get a mid-range line designed with their own gimmick, send it to Cor-Tek and then get busy with the ad campaign. The "maker" is just a business office in most cases. Same with drums now. No production or service facilities, period. Warranty is subcontracted.

Cor-Tek builds for Fender, Gretsch, Ibanez, Schecter, Michael Kelly and everyone else with axes that say "made in Korea" on them ever since Samick left Korean production.

16. LzeroKI

LzeroKI

Dec 24, 2006
    Charlotte, NC
  17. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    One thing I've noticed in Guitar Centers that carry new Daisy Rock guitars and basses - they are, at least in the 4 GCs around here, consistently the best set up from the factory out of anything GC stocks, except maybe the PRS which I haven't had any desire to touch. Want to try an amp but you don't have time to set the action and intonation on an instrument to make it playable first? Grab a Daisy Rock.

18. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    For the most part, I've been pretty impressed with the Daisy Rock guitars I used to see kids bring in for lessons. I actually really like this one, except for the headstock:
    rc_cb_darkstar_pop.

Of course, this is coming from someone who wants the Hello Kitty Squire guitar Musician's Friend offers.

edit: just priced the one I pictured above. MF sells them for $450. :meh: If I could ever find one used, I'd love to slap a Warmoth neck w/ a dark rosewood or ebony board on there, and maybe fix-up the electronics!

19. if anyone gives you beef they got beef with me. PLAY WHAT FEELS GOOD! feel good about your purchase man

20. I've always seen it as somewhat more of a bathroom bass.....