Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ok so i bought the AV 50h... now i need to know about guitar cabs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by a e i o u, Feb 26, 2005.

1. I went ahead and bought the marshall av50 head. it sounds pretty cool. I like it alot tone wise. It sounds kind of bad though because i am playing it through my 4 ohm avatar bass 4x10 cab because thats the only cab i have. I tried turning it up to see how loud it gets. it gets pretty loud but theres no head room for what I need. My question is, would my amp be noticable louder if I used to through a full sized 4 ohm guitar cab ?(marshall makes those 3/4 size 4x12's but they are kind of small) I have to keep it as cheap as possible because my job gives me very few hours and i have car insurance. would i be good with just one 4 ohm 4x12, or should I save up for 2 cheap 4x12 cabs and go full stack for shows? that seems kind of outragouse, but im thinking that because my amp doesnt seem to quite me loud enough going through my bass 4x10 cab, but that might be the problem. thanks and sorry for my bad grammer skills.

2. Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

Dec 8, 2004
    Just get an avatar 2x12 with some good speakers. Guitar speakers are way more efficient than bass speakers. 2 eminence red fangs in an open back cab will give an efficiency of 106 db. With 50 watts into it, you're getting about 130 db, which is plenty of volume as long as you aren't playing stadiums.

3. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    There aren't many 4 ohm guitar cabs out there. Usually they'll be either 8 or 16 ohms.

There's no need for a "full stack" and even a 4x12 is overkill for most stages musicians play on. I'd recommend a 2x12, but as to open backed/closed backed or what speakers, it depends on what kind of music you want to play.

4. I'll definately agree that a "full stack" is too much for most anything- especially any bar gig or VFW Hall show I've ever seen or played. If you're doing a punk rock thing I'd stick with closed back cabs. There may be good 2x12's out there, but my 2x12 sounds entirely different than my 4x12. The 4x12 will give you a load of option as far as more volume. You don't have to crank it, with that head, your tone isn't coming from overdriving power tubes. The guitarists in my band both have Hughes and Kettner heads and 4x12's. They seem to enjoy them- the cabs are really really light compared to my Marshall. On the other hand they don't sound good with either of my heads. Your head is very different from my old Marshalls.

Go shopping- try out a bunch of stuff.

5. alright thats awesome. i didn't know that the guitar cabs are more efficient and whatnot. thanks, i am looking into avatar now :cool: