Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ok, so I have the types down...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Daniel Baskin, Jul 14, 2005.

1. I finally have an idea of what each type of string set does for a bass, but now I am curious as to the difference between the brand names. Subjectively, I have heard that elixers are a lower end brand, that DR and ghs are good middle and slightly high end brands, and I haven't heard of any super high class brands. My teacher likes DRs, and says that D'dario's are bad because D'dario isn't a bass string only brand, but that's just him. I am also looking for what styles of music the brands are good for and if one brand in particular makes a really good x-type string but a bad y-type--and I don't care about punk-rock orientated brands. Feel free to respond anyway you want. I don't mean to have all this info presented to me but that would be really cool too. :hyper:

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Nah...Elixirs will cost you more than either the D'addario, GHS, Rotosound, Ernie Ball, or DR's which around here are a few bucks more than the other 'regular' strings mentioned.

There are those guys in the middle, cost wise...Ken Smith Strings, Sadowsky strings, and of course other luthier branded strings (MTD, Fodera, Pedulla, Alembic,etc). They're all in the same pricing ballpark (and all within just a few dollars of those other common brands)

If you want 'high end' you should look at Pyramid, or Thomastik Infeld...or maybe you're a Ritter sword steel kinda guy.

I guess you need to decide what you want for sound, then balance that with your budget...if you need to change your strings every other week, a 50$ set isn't gonna help you much if your pockets aren't well lined.

Most importantly, more $ doesn't mean 'better' sounding. It just means different sounding.

You also have to take the bass into consideration. Now, I have 5 basses, and they're all strung with different strings. My Dingwall uses (and can use) only Dingwall Strings. My 73 Precision loves those D'Addarios that your teacher hates. My PRS sounds great with stainless steel Rotos, which makes it no surprise when you find out that's what they string them with at the factory. My Jazz fretless gets half-flats, either D'Addario ground wound or sometimes GHS, or maybe it gets flats, or maybe it gets black nylon tape-wound if I want that woody upright sound. My MIA Jazz is a work-dog bass, and is happy with almost ANYTHING.

3. Thanks Burning. The high end brands were what I was looking for. I don't have a lot of money but I am the type that likes a very, very long lasting string, and I am not afraid to pay a lump sum for a set. Do you know of any specific string sets like this for half-round, round-wound nickels, or stainless or a similar string set?

Thanks again. I will look into those brands.

4. 7flat5

7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
    I don't know, but I guess I am in opinionated mode tonight. Don't take it personally, but I think this approach to strings is total nonsense. I know (some personally) professional bass players who use the cheapest strings. There are definitely expensive strings, like TI and Pyramid, due to their construction, and they do act unlike other strings, but they are not necessarily better. The best electric bassist I know personally uses D'Addario roundwounds on his fretless basses, which he builds himself! Tony Levin uses yer basic Ernie Balls.

I just don't think strings come in "high end" and "low end" like some other things do, and the string that does the thing you want may be spendy or not depending on you.

5. Whew...heh. That was what I really wanted to hear, even though I tried to stay objective. I think I'll take the plunge and try out the D'addario half rounds because I've already tried nickel rounds and stainless rounds. From what I've collected from this forum in the past month is that strings need to be played more than they need to be talked about. Its such a relief to not have to worry about price anymore!

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    No arguments here...I agree. And string life has nothing to do with price either. I was mostly talking about pricing. You can see from what I use its based upon how they sound.