ok, SO i have to buy a bass tomorrow

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AuroraStar, Dec 7, 2000.

1. AuroraStar

Apr 15, 2000
    and I want a five string..and I have under 600..what should I look at?
  2. AuroraStar

Apr 15, 2000
    I think I like the Ibanez BTB505blah blah...
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well it would help if you filled out your profile and told us things like what sort of music, you want to play, your experience, influences etc.

Without this it's very difficult to give an opinion - we don't even know what country or currency we're talking about!

I think the best advice would be to go along to a large bass or music shop and try all the basses within your price range and see which one you like best.
  4. Carvin's B5 series looks like a prett good deal, but if you have to PLAY the bass tomarrow then Carvins won't work too well, as they take a couple of months to come. Also, MIM Jazz basses are pretty good.
  5. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    This is just my opinion based upon the 5-strings, under $600 US, that I've tried, which are probably only about 5 or 6:

Hold off, and save your money. My experience has been that the B-string has been of a fairly low quality. It just seems that you don't get good tone (I really mean timbre) from these basses. I found this in the MIM Jazz I tried especially. I've only tried one MIM Jazz, so you never know about the others, but I haven't had luck yet.

My though is, if you have $600, then in 6 months you may be able to come up with another, let's say $400. That may or may not be realistic, but let's say you can get $1000 together in 6 months. I'm sure you'll find more options for that dollar amount. (Carvin's BB75 and LB75 come to mind). Let's say you buy a 5-string right now for a lower price, and you just simply don't like it, and get a new one in a year. Really, you wasted that $600 when you could have saved it, and bought a better instrument.

Do you absolutely need it now?
  6. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Cort Curbow 5 String.
    Upgrade the pickup to a Bartolini QuadCoil.

THE BEST under $500 (Including the Bart)