Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ok, so, I head down to Rudys Music to check out the HH Sterling today

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TrooperFarva, Feb 6, 2006.

1. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    I'm working at a site about 5 blocks north of Rudys, and I work 7-3, so when I got there, there were very few customers there. I'd never been to Rudys before. So I found my way to the bass room. Pretty good selection of stuff. I saw a really nice G&L L-2000, played it into a Fender 300 Pro, very good sound, I was really impressed. I found the HH Sterling I was looking for, and asked the guy working there if I could play it. He said sure, and asked what I wanted to play it into. I have a 400+, and I saw one there, so I asked about it. He said that it had a problem, it kept blowing fuses, but offered up the Big Block 750. Never played one before, and while it isn't a 400+, I figured what the hell. He asked me what cab I wanted to use. So I looked around, mostly smaller cabs, and then I saw it. A Bergantino NV215, under an NV610. So I pointed to it, and he hooked it up. I wasn't blown away by the sound. But from everything I heard, I knew that the cab would sound much better with a tube head. After talking to the guy for a few minutes, I got it for $920, with a speakon cable. Cheap? No, but well worth it, for what might just be the last new NV215 sold. Here she is:
    [​IMG]
    Man, it sounds awesome with the 400+. Just massive. I'm extremely happy with it. After much playing, I think the 400+ might be too clean for my tastes, I might go to an ABM500 instead, because I've heard very good things about an ABM500 and an NV215, but I'll continue to mess around with the 400+ for a good long while. Thanks to everyone here at TB, especially Tombowlus, who steered me towards the NV215, and a great thanks to Rudys Music for actually having one.

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    nice score troop,

love hangin out at rudy's. dean's the man.

3. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Thanks. While I'm at it, can anyone with the same rig or a similar one offer up their EQ and the styles that they play? Thanks.

4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Hmmm, you may want to run the Ashdown preamp into the Mesa tube power amp. That would be killer too, and I have contemplated going that route as well; I loved the sound of my Ashdown, but the Mesa 400+ sounded better. If I had the money, I'd get the best of both worlds. Anyway, nice score!

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Sweet! Sorry that I missed this thread for so long, but I am happy that you are pleased with your purchase! :D

6. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Trooperfarva, not to give you buyers remorse or anything, but a couple days ago, a NY studio was selling off their Berg stuff, and had a NV215, studio clean, for $599. They may still have it. I almost went for it. I've heard they are great cabs, but I decided I didn't want a double 15.

7. andrew

andrew Supporting Member

May 20, 2000
    Vancouver BC/Pacific Northwest
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Spector, Regenerate Guitar Works, Tech 21 NYC
    Unless you want a lighter amp I wouldn't trade the Mesa 400+ for an ashdown. I like the ABM heads a lot, but IMO the Mesa will blow them away.you have some great options to dirty up your Mesa. I just turn the master down and crank up the channel volume, or you can use a splitter box to run into both channels, and to take that a step further you can add a nice distortion pedal to the second channel so you get that clean tone, but also can give it teeth when you want by clicking on the second channel's distortion pedal. I run a Budda Phatbass with my 400+ set very low for gain, and with 12AX7's put into it (for tone, you get less gain from the stock 12AU7 tubes) and it gives me one of the best gnarly rock tones I've ever heard. I get complimented all the time on my sound, and that's my (now not so) secret weapon.