ok, so i just reenlisted...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by neptoon, Apr 13, 2004.

1. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    yep, on friday, the 9th, i raised my right hand and swore to hang around in the navy for another 6 years...that will put me out to about 15 years at the end of this enlistment...i feel great about doing it, as in my opinion, i have one of the greatest jobs in the world...i'll be leaving washington state in september and i'll be going back to georgia for a follow-on sea tour on the USS MAINE, a missile submarine out of king's bay...i've served down there before, so i'm looking forward to getting back down there...mosquitos aside...and as a gift to myself i'll be picking up a lefay herr schwarz 5 string ;) i figured since my name is dave black i should have a bass with my name in the old arsenal, right?
  2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Congrats, `Toon! Here's to us and those like us - damn few left!
  3. Aye, have fun. Glad to have a bassist underwater ^^
  4. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Heres a dumb question from someone who is completely non-nautical:

Can you access the internet from inside a sub?
  5. odie

odie Supporting Member

Good question!!! I know they have a little float that carries radio and other signals.

Please do tell. Also congrats, it is commendable(sp?)!!
  6. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    What does this get you up to now Rate and Rating-wise?

(Nosy question from a former ET3 then ETSN then HM3 then civilian)
  7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Leaving Washington?? Awww man. :(

Well, it's cool you are happy. Have a safe trip bro!!

8. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Agreed, and I will add a thank you, too!
  9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Yep, me too.
  10. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah man...we appreciate you despite what jackholes like Andy Rooney say.

brad cook
  11. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    What did Andy Rooney say? ( And if this is a probable hi-jacker, PM me in stead of posting here.)
  12. Going to Georgia eh?? What did you do, lose a bet???

Considering I'm an ET3 in the Coast Guard, I guess this would be where I would insert my large arsenal of "Squid" and "Bubble-head" jokes I know from on of my former Chiefs who was prior service Navy (and strangely VERY anti-Navy).

Seriously though, congrats. There are fewer and fewer people willing to continue their military career, me unfortunately not being one of them, however, if I could see myself doing this for 20 yrs, I would have no problem.
  13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Thank you.

14. Congratulations!

Be glad you got what you wanted on your re-enlistment!
  15. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    Packard--hooyah, man! i still have twenty years left in this man's navy ;) maybe i'll get picked up for limited duty officer and they'll let me hang out for 35 or 40...

hey, thanks a bunch, guys! a 'little float that carries radio and other signals?' aww, man...this is a united states navy war ship, man! little float, indeed... :D actually, about 5 years ago, the multi-function masts on the OHIO Class missile boats were fitted to transmit and receive email on what we call VLF (very low frequency)....and it is S-L-O-W...it's cool, though....but no, we can't access the 'net. surface ships have a satellite up-link because, well, they're always on the surface...submarines don't have the luxury have hanging out in the waves...

...for bard--i'm a first class, and the navy won't advance you for just re-enlisting anymore...i made the chief selection board, though, last march ;) the board convenes this summer....maybe i'll make it and throw on some khakis, right? that would be cool...

Mike--i still owe you a copy of my band's demo cd! crap, man...kick me in the butt!
  16. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

well, i'm originally from south carolina, so it's close to home...and yep, i'm a squid, bubblehead, all that....just don'w calling me a coner or a nuke, 'cause i ain't either ;) bomb nuke or 'tweener is cool, though
  17. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    To all you guys that have posted here and stand in harms way.....

18. tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY

What's with musicians and the Navy anyway? Two of the best guitarists I've ever played with are both Navy vets.

19. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    while we're underway we don't have anything else to do other than fart around on our guitars ;)
  20. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yeah....you're not getting past the state line until I get my demo CD. :D