1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ok so i need to buy a tuner...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by andrew505, Apr 16, 2006.

1. andrew505

andrew505

Apr 16, 2006
    I hope no one rags on me for wanting to use a tuner, but i need to work on tuning by ear and ia m, but id still like an electric tuner espeically for shows since my ear is not as perfect as id like. What i am looking for in a tuner is a tuner that can basically tune any string to a variety of notes. Example if i want to use B tuning on the Bass,
    B-E-A-D, i have the option to select the B note, and tune my E string to B. Or in drop d, i can select D, and tune my E string until it picks up the D pitch. is there a tuner out there that does all this? I will learn to eventually do all this by ear, but the new band im playing in is going to be using a lot of tunings and i dont want to look like a doofus asking them to help me with the tunings and or help me learn them. thanks.

2. you might want to look into the boss tu-2. check out the review section.

3. andrew505

andrew505

Apr 16, 2006
    this looks cool. Do you just set hte note you want to tune to?, like set D, then paly my E string open until the tuner says it matches with the D?

4. jim1457

jim1457

Mar 29, 2006
    Honolulu Hawaii
    I have a Boss TU-12H and I'm very happy with it. Turn it on and hit any string, it'll tell you the note. Any note, including sharps. (tuners that can recognize all notes are called "chromatic"). The TU-12H responds real fast too, pretty much instantly. It's not the cheapest one, but it's not the most expensive either. I only wish it had an automatic shut off when it's unplugged. If I forget to turn it off when I'm done, the battery dies. It's happened a couple times over the years.

Some of the cheaper ones take a second or two to respond, which takes a little getting used to. I've seen a fairly inexpensive Fender tuner (about $28) that responds real fast but I don't remember the model number.

5. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Boss TU2

6. FriscoBassAce

FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative
    If anyone were to rag on you, it would be for NOT using a tuner. Every pro musician I've ever seen uses a tuner to ensure that he/she is in tune with the rest of the band. Than being said, there are a number of ways to go. The Boss TU-2 is one of the most popular. I've used it as well as different types of handhelds.... even my little $20 Korg handheld gives you the pitch you're playing.

I'm wanting to get a rack tuner next. You might check into those as well, depending on your setup. Go to musiciansfriend.com to check out all kinds of tuners.

7. andrew505

andrew505

Apr 16, 2006
    so with these chromatic tuners, ud just hit for example (your E string) and if it was in standard tuning it would read E. then u would just lower it until the tuner eventually read c? ( if i wanted to go from E-C)

8. Here are a few cheap HAR HAR HAR (raggin on you)!!!

9. Tim Cole

Tim Cole Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Stage tuners are a must. I can tune by ear with the best of them, but NO ONE wants to hear you do it. Just because you can be in tune with yourself doesn't mean you're in tune with everyone else.

Take comfort in knowing anyone who rips on you for using a tuner is most likely either ignorant, sucks, or both.

10. There's some new tuners from Planet Waves that look really rad.

11. andrew505

andrew505

Apr 16, 2006
    what im curious about is how they actually work? like if i plugged into say the tu-2, and i palyed my E string in its normal tuning it woul read E, and then ther would be the bars indicating whether or not it was flat or sharp? or as soon as it was off tune of the E would it change to somthing else?

12. Skeletomania

Skeletomania

Oct 25, 2005
    hong kong
  13. Andrew, if you buy a Chromatic tuner, then you hit the string you want to tune and the tuner shows you where you are lets say you are trying to tune your E string... the tuner will show you that you are sharp, flat or F sharp etc. Then if you want to tune the E string to D, you just turn down the string until the chromatic tuner shows you to be in D.
    The TU12 and TU12H also let you tune to different pitch (besides standard 440). I have the TU12H and am gassing for the Peterson Strobe tuners, but I cannot justify the extra cash outlay.

good luck.

14. I use a Boss TU2 (stompbox). I like the simplicity of it. Large, simple readout makes it easy for me (eyesight not too sharp) to see.... even on a dark stage.

15. +1

Essential gear for any serious player, IMO. The TU-2 has the same "guts" as the TU-12H, as I understand it. It also doubles as a nifty mute switch for changing basses or just being quiet between tunes.

:cool:

16. andrew505

andrew505

Apr 16, 2006
    thanks a lot guys

17. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I normally use the tuner in my Boss ME-50B but one night I left my pedal board at home anad didn't notice until I got to the gig. The singer has a CA-30 that he uses to tune his acoustic. He let me borrow it to tune and I was very surprised at how well it tracked. I liked it so much that I bought one to keep around my studio. I bought a Sabine rack tuner that didn't make it an hour before I shipped it back. For $20 the little Korg CA-30 worked much better.

18. I use a TU-2. You have a lot of things on your mind when you are in front of an audience, and they are simple. The bad thing about rack mounted tuners, is you have to turn your back on the audience, ( rude if they are a good audience, dangerous if they are a bad audience ) If accuracy is your prime concern, there is the Strobostomp.

Just my $.02

John