Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ok, so I traded in my MIM Jazz for a Ric....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 4string4ever, Jul 24, 2004.

1. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    ...and my first order of business was to remove the stinkin' pickup cover. Well, I found out that you have to take the strings off and unscrew the pickup from the whole assembly to remove the cover. After getting it apart, I discovered that there are some rubber washers, a couple of springs, and what looks like a ground connection. I'm assuming that the ground wire should directly touch the chrome metal shround that surrounds the pickup with no washers in between. Anyone know for certain if this is correct? I'd hate to fry myself!!

Oh, and by the way, she is sooo sweeet!!! Makes me play better than the j bass I traded in. :hyper:

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Was it a direct trade..because a MIM jazz cost about 1/3 that of a Rick? Did you add in cash?

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Here, check out this PDF from the Ric site - easier than trying to describe how to put it back together. It contacts the underside of the mounting ring:

http://www.rickenbacker.com/pdf/bpickups.pdf

Where'd ya' get it?

Also, if you don't want that cover, I'll take it off your hands. I have a 1980 Azureglo 4001 that's missing the cover, and I'd like to try it.

4. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    Hell no, it wasn't a direct trade.....Gave my jazz plus $800 at Sam Ash. I wanted a Jetglo, but all they had was the fireglo and that stinkin' blue. The manager tried to tell me that the jetglo was a custom color and cost $50 more, but the fireglo was not. I then asked him why I saw a jetglo in his store a couple of months before selling for the same exact price as the fireglo. He didn't know what the hell to say, then came up with "you must have looked at the tag wrong". D**khead.......

5. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    Thanks for the assist. I see we're neighbors. I live in Palatine, but work in Glencoe. Yeah, sure, I don't really want anything to do with the cover. Would a cover from a 4003 fit on a 4001? You could drive by to get it if you like. PM me and I'll give you directions. BTW, you wouldn't happen to have a spare pickguard w/thumbrest, would ya?

6. Good for you sticking to your guns. The only finnishes that increase price are the special finnish of the year colours. (This year Monty Brown and Blue Boy) They increase the price 100$

7. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Cool! I think they only sell for $8 new, and seem to go for abut $5 used at guitar shows. I'll bring cash.

Hang on to it - I'll PM you when I have some time to drive up from Aurora.

And there's nothing wrong with Fireglo! It's the quintessential Ric color.

8. Damn right!

9. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I just noticed you bought it at Scam Cash - be sure to price match in the 'net and go for the credit. I was able to knock off an additional $200 from the price of my Sterling a few years ago by bringing in an internet quote a week later! They gave me absolutely no problem about the refund - it took about five minutes, four of which were needed to find a manager for his signature.

This was at your local store.

10. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    No cash necessary. My gift to a fellow tb'er. Actually I'll be glad to be rid of the thing.

11. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    Yeah, Sam Ash in Arlington Heights. Already ahead of you on the price match. I found it at Music 123 for $985. Printed it out and took it with me.

12. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Yeah a Jetglo is by no means a custom or special color.

13. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    Well, like most Sam Ash employees, Junior (his name is actually Joe) can't be more than 20, and I think it was very early in his scamming career. Didn't do a very convincing bull**** job.....needs alot more practice...... :cool:

14. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Under a K? Sweet!