ok, so im going to NC where..

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by JacksonsMen, Dec 21, 2005.

1. my grandad has a great shop i can play with, so im going to try to get the brunt of the refinishing done on my p-bass rebuild while im there (probably everything except final paint which ill do once i get back down here)

i just wanted to run my process by everyone here so i dont leave anything out and dont go off doing un necissary things

- strip the old finish off (this should be the most time consuming)
    -sand the body with #220 dry followed by #320
    -fill the grain w/ and oil based grain filler (2 coats)
    -sand with #220 after dry to remove excess buildup
    -apply sand and sealer/nitrocellulose (2 coats)
    -block sand with #220
    -apply sand and sealer/nitrocellulose (2 coats)
    -resand with #220 followed by #320
    -apply white primer (2 coats)
    -sand off roughness with #320
    -repeat primer/sanding process till smooth and covered.

this is just basically me double checking everything and making a quick reference guid so that i dont skip and steps when im doing this

if you have any advice/tips/etc for me go for it, this will be my first time properly re-finishing anything, so wish me luck

btw, this is the before picture, ill be sure to doccument everything
  2. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Sorry never attacked any project like that. So I can't be of much help. We are buying property in N.C. right near Hendersonville where are you heading up to? ...t
  3. Your process is fine but whether you truly need to do all of that is another thing. If the poly finish on the bass is intact and "mostly" there - not missing any areas larger than the size of a pea or so AND it hasn't got any checking, I would consider keeping the poly on the body. I would just sand it to smooth and then repair the small imperfections and use that as the basis for my color coats. It would save a ton of time and the hard, smooth base will make a great foundation for getting a smooth, flawless, finish.
  4. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    I'm with Hambone on this one. I've been through the joy of sanding off one of those polyester undercoats that you find on cheap (and sometimes not so cheap) basses, and I don't recommend it. If there's still good adhesion (i.e. nothing's flaking off) of the underlying poly, leave it alone. If you decide you want / have to start from bare wood, make sure you wear at least a dust mask. There's just something frightening about breathing in super fine plastic dust.

5. i assume you mean the coating under the black paint to leave intact, because if by polly you mean the black finish, its mostly gone to begin with.....
  6. ok, update, ive gotten most of the paint, and primer or whatever the orange under the paint is off, but im stuck at the poly underneath...should i just sand it smoothe and re-apply it and let it fill itself in? or do i need to strip all of it off completely?
  7. update, got the old finish and poly off, applied the first coat of filler and im letting it dry, pictures to follow:
    NOTE! this is still my first time re-finishing anything to if its really that bad, be gentle
    pics soon
  8. Hmm, brush finish huh? That's going to leave you plenty of leveling and finish sanding to get a smooth surface but without the equipment, there's little else available.

What are the dark spots? They look like the dents that got paint down in them. Other than those blemishes, it looks about as good as a plywood body can get.

Keep up the good work.
  9. the dark spots are actually due to the heat gun used to get the finish off (maybe wasnt the smartest idea, but what can you do, plus im not looking to show off the bare wood)

and yeah, the compressor here is on the blitz, so its all by hand and then wood blocking, more progress pics as they come

edit: the defined dark spots are buckle gouges.........those will be filled in eventually, they used to be much worse before sanding,
  10. alright, most everything except the primer is done, i broke my camera though, so i wont be able to visually update anything for a few days till i can get it home and use another camera