Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

OK, so it's Stefan Lessard's Dolphin...But what exactly is it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FungusHumungous, Oct 12, 2003.

1. Alright you Warwick-heads, I came across with picture of Stefan Lessard of DMB in 1999 with a 5 string Warwick Dolphin. But its not like any Dolphin I've ever seen.
    Any one know if it was a prototype or what? Pickups? Wood?

Glenn

[​IMG]

2. Another pic for good measure...(same year,same bass).

I'm familar with his 4 string boire Dolphin that seemed to be his main bass on tour from the early days up till 1998 but this one is new to me.[​IMG]

3. lacewood? maybe?

4. bump city

5. I can't speak with authority, and my old eyes looking at those photos are going to yield questionable results, but I'll take a stab at it anyhow.

I get the impression that there are Schaller straplocks on that bass by looking at the round button tops. That's what was used on the older Dolphins prior to the recessed ones. I have these on my '90.

I've seen boire models with minimal figuring, plus the red lights will wash out any figuring that might be there to see. Could that be smeared wax, sweat and stage light reflections perhaps? I believe that you're looking at an older (pre-'94)boire model.

About the pickups... in the early days it was possible to custom-order different pickup configurations. It looks like Bartolini (or other) soapbars were used in place of the standard MM+J configuration, and it looks (although it's difficult to be certain from the photo) that this was done when the bass was made.

Only Stefan can tell us.

6. AndyMan

AndyMan Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 17, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    http://myplaceproductionsllc.com/
    he did have a Doplhin 5 that had a special maple body

7. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    Actually, it is a custom made birdseye maple Dolphin 5. Stefan got it just before the "Before These Crowded Streets" album. It is probably of the 96-97 vintage and, according to Warwick, it was his favorite bass to record with- he felt it had a certain punch and presence that his other Dolphins lacked. I have only seen one other Maple dolphin and it was a 1998 model. Stefan used his on the 97/99 tours until he phased them out by early 2000. Now he plays Modulus exclusively!

8. It just goes to show you... my poor tired ol' eyes. Anyhow, I too have seen a maple Dolphin, and it was also of the '98-'99 vintage. Stefan's bass looked a little dark to be maple in the 2nd pic, but what do I know?

This reminds me that I saw a "bleached blonde" Streamer recently!

9. Thanks for quenching the thirst that is my curiousity.

Thanks
    Glenn

10. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    Maybe the other Birdseye Dolphin you saw was the one I owned for a while! I ended up selling it because the newer neck didnt suite my tastes, but looking back at some pictures it was a very nice and super rare bass.

11. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City

Yep, including a 24-fret Flea 5-string :D

12. modflea

modflea

Apr 26, 2004
    Lafayette, LA
    A 24 fret Flea 5?? Sweet!

On another note, how come when I click on the link it says Invalid File Attachment? Does the forum just not like me?