1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ok... So the effects are here but...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MBRVMasterTone4, Jul 21, 2007.

1. MBRVMasterTone4

MBRVMasterTone4

Jul 13, 2007
    Ok... So the effects are here but i don't know how to make the best chain... Which comes first looking from the bass to an amp?

I have: overdrive, envelope, synth, wah, eq, and multi-effect processor (delay, chorus, reverb)...

2. I think this question is getting asked like twice a day now :meh:

3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    For me Drive>Env>Wah>Synth>Multi>EQ>Rig.

4. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    First and foremost: This question gets asked like every 20 minutes. Just search. I'm sure you could find something that relates to your question.

Secondly: EXPERIMENT.

5. DbNBassist

DbNBassist

Aug 12, 2006
    Britain
    For me, Env>Drive>Wah>EQ>Synth>Multi

but you should just really experiment.

6. TeenZombie01

TeenZombie01

May 14, 2006
    yeah i just made a post asking the same thing like two days ago and i didnt really figure it out until i got to practice and just experimented. the only solid piece of advice i can give you that i found out is put your tuner last if youre using one.

7. Andy V.

Andy V.

Nov 5, 2006
    Dumbo, NY
    +1

8. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    eq>synth>drive>filter>wah>multi>amp

9. This looks like a good start. I would try the EQ right after the synth for more variation on the synth tones. I would also try the drive both before or after your filter to see which works best.

10. neatobassman

neatobassman

Jul 16, 2005
    Antelope CA
    Wah>Drive>Eq>Filter>Synth>Multi

11. Synth - OD - EQ - Env - Wah - Processor

12. Notice how there have been all kinds of completley different responses, and on one +1? That's because everyone's taste is different, this includes yours. Experiement.

To make it easier on yourself, do it two pedals at a time and switch their order up and decide how best you like those two. For instance, sit down with your Drive pedal and your Filter. Put the drive first, then the filter, try it. Then try it with the filter first, now you know in what order you want those. Then do Drive and wah. If both the Wah and the Filter belong before or after the drive, try those two, then you'll have three pedals in place. Do this with everything. Its a full hour of work at most, and you'll thank yourself later.

I will say this though, its pretty much unanimous that your Multi should be your last 'effect' (I'm not counting the EQ, you may want it to finish out your line). IME/IMHO, the modulation effects you say your using it for always sound best at the end of a chain. Again, you should experiement, but I've never heard a chain that looks like Delay>Drive or Reverb>Drive that sounded good to my ears.

13. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    wah-env-synth-drive-eq-multi

14. My ideal chain would be (this would be if I had all the effects i wanted) wah->tremolo->whammy->chorus/leslie simulator->flanger/phaser->delay->distortion->volume pedal.

15. Lowpro

Lowpro

Sep 25, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    I always thought it was synth before wah X.x

16. env>od>wah>synth>eq>multi is how I would do it, but experiment and see what you like best

17. Just admit that I was right. ;)

18. Ok, he WAS right. I was just putting it elequently and in more words;) :D

Joking aside, I liked his layout with the exception of the EQ. I would close out my line with the EQ, but that's just me. The synth location makes a lot of sense though. Stuff like synths, wammys, and octaves tend to do better at the beginning of a chain of effects. They track better right up in the front (IMHO/IME).

19. Agreed. However, filters sound excellent when fed a harmonically-rich distorted signal. If your filter or synth can accept a trigger signal seperate from the audio signal, I suggest you split the audio first, run a clean trigger line to the filter, and put the filter in the audio chain after the drive.