1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ok speaker cab question about an idea i have

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GothicVash, Apr 5, 2009.

1. GothicVash

GothicVash

Apr 5, 2009
    ok well i was wondering if anyone has done this already and how it sounds i was thinking of building a 2x12 cab bassed on car subwoofers in a ported enclosure also for a car it would be easy enough to rewire one and change the jack pannel out. now i know it would be a compleatly diffrent kind of sound as subwoofers sound diffrent then normal bass speakers. but i know that car speakers handle lower frequencys then bass speaker and for the lowest on the estring would be 40 (i forget the term for it) but osme input on thoughts suggestions about it would help.

2. Rehashed a million times here.

They are way less efficient, have a crappy frequency response spectrum

And overall, will sound like a$$

3. Dogbertday

Dogbertday Commercial User

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Blaine Music LLC
    I know it's not what you're talking about but I've often thought about using car subs to supliment my rig.... get that punch in the low notes for some hip hop or funk

4. Unless you are going to run them off of a seperate high power amp, it won't add anything.

If you hook it up to your head and let it share power with a real bass cab, the car speakers will be lost. They are lower efficiency (meaning it takes gobs of power to get them as loud)

Also, car speakers are made to sound good in a small enclosed space (inside your car). They are NOT made to project from a stage and fill a room with sound.

5. GothicVash

GothicVash

Apr 5, 2009
    well i dont play typical music really so the diffrence in sound would be cool to me id just like really low really bass tones like subwoofers put out and the less efficieant explains why my 1k watt car system is no where close to as loud as my dads 200 watt bass cab

edit so i would need to have seperate amps to power them like say preamps?

6. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ

huh?

7. GothicVash

GothicVash

Apr 5, 2009
    i meant power amps lol said the wrong thing like in a pa system instead it would be bass head to power amp to speaker ?

8. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    There's a reason that car speakers arent' used by bass amp manufacturers.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Hmm...could it be that THEY'RE MADE FOR A CAR?!?!?!

Think about it...you have a tiny little space in a car that's all you need to fill. So you don't need huge speakers to fill it with sound. Now I don't care who you are or where you play, but wherever it is, it's going to be bigger than a car. Those massive sounding 12"s in your car are going to sound puny in a building playing a bass. Not only that, but car speakers are optimized to play CD's, so they won't have near enough going on to amplify bass to any degree.

Use car speakers for cars, bass speakers for bass. Period.

10. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    You can do this but you won't want to because it's impractical. If your regular amp and cab are about 300-400 watts then in order to keep up with it, you will need to be shoving about 2000 watts into your car subwoofers (because they are inherently less efficient). That means 2 or 4 high quality (high $$$) subs and 1 or 2 high quality (high $$$ amps) to power them. And an active crossover, because you still need your regular cab to handle the majority of your sound because the subs are only going to be doing anything from about 25-50 Hz.

Figure on at least $1,500 to make this work at all and then you'll be hauling this heavy pile of stuff around to gigs along with your regular gear just so you can have more thump below 50 Hz.

And then you'll have to figure out how to solve the sonic problems that will be created by playing shows with lots of super low frequency noise bouncing around the venue creating havoc with the FOH.

BTW, I have 4 Infinity car subs in my home studio for when I practice and want to shake the house. There is no way I would bring them to a show because the cabs are too big and because they would barely be able to keep up with my single 1x15 cab at 300w and because I have no need to go below 50 Hz on a gig.

I also rarely turn them on at home because I have neighbors who are just waiting to call the police again. :rolleyes:
    Picture003-1.

11. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    :D

12. Oh No,,,,Not Again!!
    Can we make this a sticky....and required reading before posting?

Sorry GothicVash, but it seems every new member gets the same brainstorm.

13. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Your car system runs about 10dB lower in sensitivity than a bass cab. That's a 10:1 power ratio. Car systems work fine in the roughly 150 cubic foot interior of a car, not so good in a 15,000 cubic foot club.

14. zagnut

zagnut

Jan 4, 2009
    Back in Detroit
    Listen to Bill. This has been discussed plenty of times. Majority of car subs are way to low in sensitivity. You would have to put hundreds of watts through them. Car subwoofers depend on whats called cabin gain. There are high sensitivity subs out there, but what you would be spending, you can get a a good PA sub driver that will do a better job.
    Unless you plan on playing synth or subharmonic bass, you have no need for what you are describing.

In my early days of playing bass, I messed around with using car subs, it's a waste of time.

If you are still hellbent on getting these kinds of lows, I suggest you read these 2 threads -
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=528960

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=505202

15. GothicVash

GothicVash

Apr 5, 2009
    i just had the idea because as stated i ran my bass threw a midi box and to my computer then to my sterios sub with the other speakers compleatly off i personaly like that really low end sub tones and i play more electro industrial stuff with my bass synth but i just cant get the same kinds of tones out of it as i could with that subwoofer it does seam a bit more impractical then i had originaly anticipated tho ....

16. There are better, easier, cheaper ways to achieve the sound you want than the way you wanted originally.

17. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Which is the reason for PA systems.

18. Acquistapace

Acquistapace

Feb 28, 2009
    Me too. This was my way around it.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=528960&highlight=21+subwoofer

The solution? Dozen-foot tall creepy monoliths. :D