1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ok, that was strange...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Fingertwist, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Fingertwist

Fingertwist

Nov 29, 2006
    Asheville, NC
    Hi everybody!

Ok, first post- here it goes:

I just bought a Blackbox X-Ray bass pedal.

I like the sound, and it seems to work fine, except for one thing. I started picking up NPR (the radio station) through my amp. The strange thing is that I live in a pretty remote area in the mountains, and I can barely pick up NPR on my radio.

Any ideas? I can't say for certain that the pedal is responsible, but it never did that before.

I like NPR, but I don't want to hear "All Things Considered" while I'm practicing.

Thanks.

2. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    What kind of bass do you use????

I picked up god-knows-what station one time with my bridge jazz pup, and the signal boosted with my english muff'n.

3. Fingertwist

Fingertwist

Nov 29, 2006
    Asheville, NC
    I'm playing an Ibanez SR 500 with AFR-P/J pick-ups.

I'm also a noob when it comes to electronics, I just recently started playing again after a twenty year hiatus.

4. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    J = single coil = radio antenna = :mad:

well I guess it made me mad cus I had talk radio going on when I was trying to play metal....

Seriously though, try repositioning yourself (even within the same room), that worked for me :D

5. Fingertwist

Fingertwist

Nov 29, 2006
    Asheville, NC
    Aha! Thanks, I know next to nothing about how this stuff works, I just like to play.

I can relate to hearing talk when you are trying to play metal. I was hearing about Darfur while trying to play Zappa's "Dirty Love" and the combination was disconserting to say the least.

6. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    :eek:

Actually I also like to "just play"!!! Most of my other knowledge I've gleened from here!!!

Welcome!

7. I used to pick up Russian or Spanish stations with a 100 watt Kustom and an old Univox p-bass copy even without distortion but much more so with. I though it sounded cool sometimes. After a heavy song with a feedbacky Spinal Tap ending you could hear these guys ranting in Russian or Spanish. Sometimes it sounded kind of creepy. I couldn't hear the radio when I was playing though. It probably got lost in the guitars and drum noise.

8. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Sheilding my good man...sheilding...

9. Jeff Martinez

Jeff Martinez

May 10, 2005
    Denver, CO
    My DOD Bass-Tec>Hartke 3500 used to pick up Avril Lavigne. No kidding. Whatever station is was picking up couldn't be heard until "Complicated" came on. Of course, I was in a goth-metal band at the time. I was really a distraction when we were in the middle of writing some dark and sad melodies.

10. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    it's a conspiracy.

and welcome to TB!

11. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    +1

I've had plenty of problems picking up radio signals with my Ibanez, but I never managed to get FM. Going through a distortion or any other boost will most definitely make the radio bit louder (though I'm unfamiliar with your pedal so I can't say for sure). Also, it only happens in certain specific areas -- about a 3 foot radius under a skylight in this one studio, a little bit in from the wall in this one bar, so try moving around, the signal might go away.

It's definitely a Soundgear thing -- mine has 2 humbuckers and I get radio in any pickup combo. So yeah, must be the shielding. Give Ibanez a ring and ask for more shielding, they should help you out.

12. a guitarist i used to play with had this same type of problem, but it only occurred when he engaged his danelectro pedal. It also only occurred when he played in our drummer's basement. it was kind of disconcerting for ahwile, but we ended up recording some of the strange talk radio and got some trippy samples out of it.

13. It seems it can be picked up from pups, amps or pedals then. I can pick up moscow radio on my woolly mammoth because it's on long wave radio. moving around your room or moving the pedal would probably work, even changing the settings slightly can work.

14. Ganib4

Ganib4

Nov 5, 2006
    On my old ESP C-10, the J pup was really humming and whenever I went to my friends house in the city (New York) it picked up a house station and it only stopped when I touched my input jack on my bass, got a new bass and it didn't happen so it must've been the pup.

15. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    Between my Ibanez bass going into my Rat going into my 105q into my Whammy 4, I can sometimes pick up this crazy preacher station. But everything has to be in that order, and I need all of them to get it... I never could figure out if it was any one of those things that was picking it up. Wierd.

-Dash

16. Nils

Nils

Oct 9, 2006
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I haven't expreinced this myself, but if you listen to Sleep Now in the Fire from Rage Against the Machines album the Battle of Los Angeles, you can hear some stuff at the end. It's a vietnamese radio station that Tom Morello's amp picked up... They left it in there for funsies. :)

17. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Are we talking about basses, or ham radios? :meh:

Maybe I should buy an Ibanez Soundgear bass and hook up a Sirius receiver to it... then my bass rig will have Satellite Radio!

Bet your sound system at home can't do that! :D

18. I never picked up any radio stations before on my amp, although I was always running some high gain distortions.
    Since I have the Effector 13 Torns Peaker organic fuzz (in its description they say it sounds like a blues guitarist playing through a couple of very distorted radios) I pick up radio stations I've never even heard before. If it's not too loud, I think it sounds cool

19. cmhgreg

cmhgreg

Oct 26, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Recently (the past few days) I started picking up some local guy on his CB radio. My daughter has also been picking up transmissions on her desktop computer speakers. From what I can gather, the guy is not in my immediate area. He sounds like he is broadcasting from my backyard though. Does anyone know the procedure to get the FCC involved to determine if this guy is illegally boosting his signal? Thanks in advance for any help anyone might be able to offer.

20. *smb

*smb

Nov 26, 2006
    I live down in south west England, and whenever it happens to me it's always a Spanish or Welsh station which is pretty entertaining

A common culprit for this is when the bridge is earthed. Since you've got metal strings running over a metal bridge connected to the earth it acts like a big antenna and actually gives you better reception than your actual radio in many cases. If you have a wah pedal it is sometimes possible to tune the frequency you're receiving. If you adjust the tone control on your distortion or your instrument you can often get rid of it. I also disconnected the earth from the bridge of my instrument. My new bass has a humbucker so it's no longer an issue anyway for me