Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ok the 4x10 shootout has been done soo....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fretless5verfan, Oct 7, 2002.

1. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    A 6x10 shoot out! this one is a little odd in the fact that most Tbers ive seen on here own 4x10s or 2x10s, as far as tens go that is. And on top of that not all cab companies make 6x10s. SO this is your chance 6x10 players! shoot me your opinions and experiences.:D

2. I only know of three, the SWR Goliath Sr., the Ampeg 610HLF, and the Mesa power house (I think that is the name). Of those, I would probably go with the SWR (one word....chrome). Really liked the sound of that one. I got a good deal and went all the way with a Ampeg 8x10, but probably would have gone with the SWR if I didnt get the deal.

jtbp

3. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I'm getting a SWR Goliath Sr. at the end of this month so I'll let you know then. I'm running a 4x10 at 8ohms right now so I can't wait to go to 6x10 at 4ohms! LOUDER!!!

:D :D :D

4. Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    genz benz also has a 6x10 that looks like it should be a very well rounded cab, has anyone tried it? oh yea, congrats on the goliath man! i might be getting one too soon

5. I once played through the Mesa 6x10 with an SVT Classic at GC... Wow! Pure thunder... Turned up barely a third of the way and I had the whole place shakin'. I'm an Eden addict, but that combination was definitely among the best I've ever played or heard. Feel the power! :cool:

6. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Epifani 6x10 I think it's overkill. My 4x10 is louder than I'll ever need. I was the wall of sound.

7. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Thanks man. I can't wait. I will be running it with my SVT-4Pro. I think the cab is rated at 1000 W and I will be getting 1600 W in mono bridged setting. Will I have to be careful or can the Goliath Sr. cabs take it?

8. Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    i was thinking of doing the same thing! as far as i know 1600 should be prefect fo it, because u get the full 1000 and plenty of headroom. great minds think alike!:D :p

9. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I don't know about that man. The cab is rated at 1000W but the head will be pushing 1600W. I don't want to blow it up.

10. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    You are not going to be leaving your volume controls maxed, so you are not really going to be putting that much juice into it.

11. Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    as long as you dont drive the poweramp up very high it should be fine. If you do a search on here you'll find that someone said aprox. 1.7 times the power ratting of the cab is ideal. which is a little more than 1600watts for the goliath sr.

12. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Cool, bring on 6 tens then!!! Thanks guys.

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If Eden made a D-610XST, it would be the best.

14. D-410XST 8ohm
    +
    D-210XST 8ohm
    =
    D-610XST 4ohm, divided into two pieces for convenience in transport and lifting. Even better! :D

15. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    :rolleyes:

if eden made spatulas and enema kits, they'd be the best too i suppose?

i rock the SWR Goliath Sr. hard, and it's my favorite cabinet ever. it's just so so so loud and nice sounding. can cut thru anything, handle low B with authority, and sounds great with my basses.

PLUS i can move it around, lift it, and put it in my tiny nissan hatchback all by myself.

16. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    The problem with that combination is that the 2x10 will get the same amount of power as the 4x10, but since there are less cones you'll end up driving it harder. But if you get 4ohm 4x10 and 8ohm 2x10 and amp that can handle 2ohm load (Fafner)...

17. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Dude you're pumping me up! I can't wait to get mine towards the end of this month. My guitar players days of being louder than me live are over! Mwuh-hahahaha!

18. Amen viva......

Sock it to um....

And never, EVER, let them turn you down. That's where most of my former guitarist lost there soloing hands.....

:D

-insighted

19. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Silly thought:

In terms of external dimensions, it seems that Bag End could fit 6 of thier 10's into thier AF-1 shell, if they were in the parallelogramic configuration used in thier Q10B-D. 1200 watts continuous....And have a "road" version with 8 handles, tilt back caters, and a latching front lid. H10BX-D-R?

I have an e-mail into Bag End with this idea, but no reply yet, perhaps I shouldn't be suprised at that.

....Like I said, silly.

20. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    That was my experience with the Sr., too. I was a fool to sell mine. May have to get another one if I start working in larger rooms again.

BTW, those Eden enema bags aren't very accurate but a lot of sufferers seem to like their color. ;)