OK: the origin of the meaning

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Rockin John, Jan 30, 2003.

1. This should be easy for the more learned amongst those on TB.

OK....so what does , OK, actually mean?:eek:

Do the letters abreviate words or is there some other meaning to it?

I thought it might be of American origin so perhaps our cousins across the pond can shed some light.

2. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    It's from the Chocktaw Indian word "okeh".
  3. That so many different languages all had something sounding simliar, and meaning the same thing....

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Nah - lots of Apes/Monkeys/Primates have the same expression for the same meaning - it's in the genes!! ;)
  5. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

"Ain't nothin' like a correct response by the 2nd post to kill a thread quick".

6. Strange how my link casts doubt on this 'correct response';)
  7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    its means

Ol Korrect

it was started by a United States Prez that was illiterate...he thought thats how you spelled "all correct" so he thought it was Ol Korrect, which he simply would put OK for shorthand

or so my history teacher would lead me to believe....I don't remember which president it was unfortunatly.

Actually...I think this was just a proposed theory by someone...not sure though.
  8. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    The way I heard it is that there was a presidential candidate whose initials were "OK". He made up the accompanying hand signal (early gang signs?!), and anything good was "OK". He didn't win the election, but if this story is true, he's obviously rememberd more than the guy he lost to. :D

EDIT: ah-ha! I helps if you read the links posted in the previous thread. I was off by a little, but the theory was there. :D
  9. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York