1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

OK, they're like potato chips!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kesslari, Sep 19, 2008.

1. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I've played bass since the early 1980's (with a big gap between the early 1990's until last year). Done a lot of gigs and other than some brief forays into (and back out of) effects, I've always been a bass->cord->amp kind of guy.
    A simple guy who likes simple, good, clean bass tones.

And for most of my gigs, that's still the case.
    BUT... :meh:

A friend has been trying to get me into looping - he's a big time looper, produces and performs in festivals, etc. He finally got me to try it.

I got to try looping while travelling this week.
    What a freakin' boatload of fun! :D
    I've got a DL4 coming (actually waiting for me at home).

I'm loving it.

I'm thinking that I need another delay (I'm gonna borrow a friend's DL4 to use as a dedicated delay so I can use the looping function of one and the wonderful array of delays that the DL4 has.

I'm even seeing potential use for an overdrive and for an envelope filter....

I thought I could eat just one. I may have been mistaken. :ninja:

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Muah-hah-hah... you are now under our spell....

3. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Welcome to the Darkside.

Your credit card application and Chapter 11 filing kit will be following shortly.

4. kesslari

Dec 21, 2007
    You know, the first domino was probably the dang ACG preamp I put into my fretless this month.
    I started to *really like* having a bunch of great sounds at my fingertips...

oh, and Bongo - since I mostly play fretless, it's really
    Mwah-hah-hah :D

5. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

Aug 18, 2007
    Oak Park, IL
    Yeah....but they're also like chocolates.....never quite sure what you'll get! :)

6. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    the akai headrush is also a great looping pedal. as for delays, try and specify what exactly you want and we'll be more than happy to help! let the GAS consume you! :bassist:

7. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Oh god, the puns. Please no more puns!

8. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Please allow me to direct your attention the following thread http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=470287
    :atoz:

9. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Looping is a very Bass Anorak activity, IMHO. I mean, Michael Manring does it.

As much as I like Michael Manring, bassists don't come much more Anorak than him. :)

10. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    I seem to only go gonzo over dirt boxes. I've had the same phaser, chorus, ring mod, blah blah blah for ages, but fuzz and distortion I'm always on the hunt for The One, blowing too much cash on said search. Still, 20 boutique pedals still cost less than one custom bass.

Also, Lay's suck. Hate those things. ****ing Behringer of the tater chip world.

11. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    Miss Vickie's salt & vinegar = Attack Goat Bass Fuzz

12. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Those sound like some pretty girlie chips.

My chips come smothered in fake cheese and barbecue sauce. Sometimes they also come with beef.

13. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    If you haven't tried Kettle's "Buffalo Bleu" potato chips, you are missing out. Between the spiciness, the cheesiness, the rough texture, and the overall powerful flavor, I'd call them an original Mutron III with a dying battery, played by a wild funkster. ;)

14. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    +1 Kettle chips rock. To stretch this analogy too far, Cheddar Beer are a Dregetone Angler and Yogurt & Green Onion are an A/DA Flanger.

15. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    I saw those the other day but usually go for...
    one of those two, or that one BBQ variety (forget the specific name, but they are pretty much a Schumann Lion best I can tell).

So I'll try the Bleu next time.

16. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Kettle is amazing.

17. kesslari

Dec 21, 2007
    Got home from my trip last nite.
    The DL4 was waiting for me. Even though I was exhausted from long day of flying, I had to pull out Oolong the fretless and play.
    There're some beautiful possibilities in looping and playing with sound, that's for sure.
    My wife said "wow, this makes listening to you practice way more fun..." :D
    Same wife who thinks my fretless is sexy, so this bodes well...:ninja:

I'll try those Buffalo Blues. And...
    I've got an Expression Pedal coming for the DL4 already (ebay is my friend...).
    Guess that's like dip for the chips? :smug:

18. Exp pedal=dip, yes. :)
    Wife liking playing/practicing=(very)good, yes. :cool:
    I also got my feet wet in the loop pool via the DL-4; craving analog delay in the loop & a little more loop length led me to swap/sell/upgrade to an RC-20, then I got a SMMH for the 'analog' delay(not actually an AD, it does some things better & some not at all..). I also snagged an old Ibanez Soundtank Echo Machine(highly recommended if you can find a good deal on one), which is a digital delay that has a very analog-ish high-end roll off & can be tweaked(via 3 internal trimpots)to self-oscillate quite nicely. I'm also waiting on an old rackmount UE-405 to try & satisfy(as if)my lust for analog delay sweetness...
    :D

19. kesslari

Dec 21, 2007
    Not that I know anything about such matters, but if you like analog delay, look for an old DoD 680...serious bucket brigade action. :D

20. Yeah, I've watched several of those go beyond my budget on the bay. I love old DOD stuff. My personal holy grail AD is the Pearl AD-08. Had one in the 80s; it started acting very strangely(can't even recall what it was doing)and thinking it was not something that one gets repaired, I[gasp/sob/ducks imminent & well-deserved flames]threw it away. :eek: :bawl:
    They go for $200+ now, & are rarely seen outside of Japan. :atoz:

Edit: And to keep things on(both)wonderfully addictive topics, yogurt & onion :bassist: RAWWWWK. :bassist: