OK, this is a long 'ne...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DryWater'Bass, Jun 24, 2002.

1. I've typed this once already, and my comp froze, deleting the post in progress....so here goes again...

I'm a younger member of TB, and I've got a limited price range, but fairly specific wants...I'm shopping for a new bass....

• 4-string
    • 2 or 3 band EQ circuit(MM style)
    • Small built neck, similar to Ibanez Soundgear or Fender Jazz
    • Must have at least a MM style pickup, if not a P- or J- pickup @ the neck

Simply stated...I'm looking an an initial $500 investment,adding on more and more as Time progresses and buying in peices is easier on the wallet since I can buy things as I get the money, instead of it burning a whole in my perverbial pocket and getting spent, I've got help building if I need it...If I bought a warmoth body, which would I get, I play alot of Punk, but I want a Rock tone, I Love the tone I heard when I played my older brother's Ibanez SR400, but I'm kinda into the whole "I Built it!" thing...I want a pickguard, as I'd like thie to appear like a Stingray, I love the way they look, so if there's a P- or J- in the neck, I'd need a custom cut pickguard....I'm looking @ the Seymour Duncan MM PU and 3 band EQ pakcage from M/F, and before I get grilled by somebody(reading around, M/F isn't so popular) I've never had a problem with M/F and service....Does Warmoth do specific routings?

Any help is appreciated, and I thank you in advance...
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, I think that the MTD Kingston 4 is for you. Excellent Axe, killer. They have a passive preamp, a single MM style humbucker and a hell of a pedigree.

They only have one tone knob, but you'd be surprised what you can do with it. The tone's in you fingers on this one. Plus, they are like butter to play.
  3. i agree with this. at $500, i think you should buy passive anyway. the preamp is the first place that a budget active bass cuts corners, and i personally haven't found one that i like at that price.
  4. or how about a kingston Heir, MM style pickup, j-style in the neck position, and over time u could swap for better pickups, change the hardware, rip out the frets :) put on a graphite neck :D
    but they are nice basses, i tryed one (at last) wen i brought my rig form the bass centre.

good luck

5. extreme

Mar 20, 2000
    It sounds like you need a Lakland Skyline 44-02. 3-band EQ, MM/J pickups and a thin neck. I don't know what the pricing would be on this, but just get a side job for a month or two and go for it!
  6. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Maybe you could find a used warmoth... They have awful resale, but it can be hard to find one with what you want.

Yes warmoth can do custom routings. But the "sweetspots" for MM and P pups overlap, so warmoth would either push up the p pup or move the mm pup down.
  7. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    If you can push the budget (i.e. work a bit longer) this is a killer choice. Probably your best...
  8. I've looked into the Washburn RB2002, it'll end up running around $600....I've not seen the Kingston Heir....The Kingston 4 looks alright I'll head to a GC soon to play....Any more Ideas?
  9. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Actually...with only a 4, I guess you could go ahead and try some Fender P and J basses, and whatever Yamaha models you can lay your mitts on. Yamaha makes some really good basses that are often overlooked because it's Yamaha.
    Peavey as well, and Cort Curbows. Don't overlook anything because of the name or color. Try everything.

But, I'll still stand by my initial vote of the Kingston.
  10. I was looking at a Bartolini Preamp, would that be considered cutting a corner or are there better pre amps at or around the prices they've got???

:::EDIT::: I was looking at the HR-5.2 for clarifications....Volume, Blend, Bass, Mid(Push/Pull Freq. Select), Treble

I'd still like to eventually upgrade one of the basses I've got and add this stuff in, or buy an in expensive bass and fix 'er up....