Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

OK, this time I AM complaining about my brother.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Sheep Man, Jul 27, 2004.

1. Hey guys, like the title says, this is going to be a rant. If you don't want to read it, then don't. :p

So my dad invited my brother and me to dinner with him and some local students who took a class that he teaches in the summer semester at one of the universities here in Hong Kong. Well, these students are the cream of the crop, since they were all on the dean's list for at least 1 semester (they're going to be sophomores this coming fall), and averaged at least 6.8 As throughout the year, out of about 10 classes.
    Well, my dad happened to mention that a few of the girls were quite attractive, or "cute" in some cases, so my brother being the shallow prick that he is, says, "Sure." Mind you, his primary motivation is not the undoubtedly excellent food or the fact that he doesn't have to pay for anything. He's going for the prospect of cute girls.

Well, dinner went without a hitch, and we're all at home now. The first thing my brother said to my dad was, "Dad, you lied to me. You said there would be cute girls there." Now he's my brother, so I can tell that he's not being 100% serious, because his tone of voice seems to say that, "That sucked, and I could have seen hotter girls if I went to dinner with my friends and looked at the girls in the restaurant." I would say, as an educated guess, he was about 60% serious with that comment.
    Now honestly, I have nothing against my brother being a shallow, shallow man, because hey - that just means there will be a few more girls who are looking for something serious and meaningful rather than a quick boink or summer fling or whatever for me to look into, but when he goes and complains to our father, who spent the last 22 years of his life working and making money so that my brother (and myself for the last 20 years) can live comfortably and never feel the effects of poverty first hand because he doesn't share our father's taste in women? Someone please tell me I'm being overly sensitive again, because I can't stand it when my brother does stuff like this.

This whole event also reminds me of the fact that my brother really does not appreciate our parents as much as he should. He never goes out to eat with either or both of them on his own, it's always a "family" thing. My brother tells me I should appreciate what they've done for me more, and that I should have a better attitude, but while my brother is out with his friends neglecting our mother who would otherwise be alone for dinner, I stay home (or go out, as it usually ends up being) with her and enjoy a good meal and conversation with her, because I know that she's spent so much of her life raising the two of us.

Now some might call me a mamma's boy, but I love my parents, and I can't help but feel that my brother only shows his love for them when he wants something. He only talks to them at length about things that he wants, and he only gives them his opinion on a subject if it will directly affect him, or if he personally doesn't think they're making the "best" decision, such as with a new car.

In fact, in the apartment that my grandmother so graciously bought for my father, mother, brother, and myself, my brother chose to have the smaller bedroom of the two that he and I were allowed to choose from because it was farther away from our parents' room. He compromised room size for "freedom," when the fact of the matter is that he's more likely to live in that apartment sooner, since he's graduated from college.

Ugh. Too much stuff to complain about, not enough finger stamina.

2. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    ??? I guess I don't understand *** your bitch is...

Are you suggesting that you are superior to your brother because,,, he likes hot chicks?

OR

You're way better because, you fall in love,,, BEFORE seeing what a girl looks like???

IMHO, he's smart. I mean, who wants to troll the school of the gross & ugly for girls.

3. And on another note, he also dislikes much of my taste in music. I don't particularly like a lot of what he listens to either, but I never complain. If he asks me what I think, I'll tell him I don't fancy it too much, and leave it at that. He, however, tends to think that I hate the music that I tell him is "not really my thing," and yet he adamently refuses to listen to some of my MP3s or CDs when we're both at home. We share a room in our current apartment.

Well, just 2 minutes ago Mr. Big's Colorado Bulldog came up on my MP3 player just now, and he said, "Can you change the track please?"
    Now the words are nice, but his tone of voice said "I hate this, it sucks. Change the track or I'll fart on your pillow and smother you with it."

I really need to get away from my brother.

4. No no no, that's not what I'm saying at all.

My brother, father, and myself all have different tastes in women. If my dad says one girl is "cute" or "pretty," my brother and I tend to disagree. If my brother says the same about another girl, then my father and I tend to disagree. If I say it, my brother and father tend to disagree.

I'm not so much complaining about his "liking hot girls," as I am his shallowness and the fact that he genuinely complains about an excellent meal because my dad "lied" to him about there being "cute" girls present at said dinner.

On another note, he managed to sit through a good portion of Dream Theater's A Change of Seasons before complaining. I don't understand him, and many times I don't like him. Unfortunately. :crying:

5. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Sounds like your average sibling rivalry bs...

He doesn't have to like your stuff, & you don't have to like his. People are individuals. You have your likes & dislikes,,,, so does he... You can't resent him for his, just like he can't resent you for yours... Don't take it so personally.

His motivation for going wasn't the food, it was the girls.
    You were content to have it be the food.

Niether one is right, or wrong. Just different.

Personally, I'm VERY glad we all have our differences. Things would get REALLY boring, otherwise.

6. Yeah. I definitely appreciate everyone being themselves and differences between people and everything.

I guess it's times like this that I can't believe I'm related to...well, my brother. I try to respect him and avoid confrontations with him since he is my older brother, and I do feel that he deserves my respect if anything just because he's my older brother, but it's also times like this that my brother seems to be the polar opposite of everything our parents tried to instill in us. Manners, respect, grace (as in accepting defeat, not being able to dance well), and particularly appreciating everything that we have.

I just get the feeling that my brother is more exploiting what we have than appreciating it.
    And that's fine - we've been blessed with a father who can earn enough money, in Hong Kong no less, to maintain a family of 4 and send 2 sons to USC without any scholarships all on his own. My mom gets to stay home or go out with friends, or do whatever she pleases because she doesn't have to work, and my brother goes out nightly, spending money on who-knows-what, and comes home to tell his mother that, "Hey, I need some more money. I'm out."
    I personally loathe having to ask my parents for more money, but since I don't work eventually I have to do it.

I suppose this is me subconsciously (or is it consciously? I'm not sure yet) imposing my philosophies and view on life on my older brother, but I just know that I shouldn't get used to having money in my wallet when I want it, because when I work for myself, I won't have money in my wallet when I want it, I'll only have it when the paycheck comes in.

7. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001

You are being overly sensitive.

From what you've posted, your brother doesn't sound like a bad guy. It just sounds like you're a little closer to your parents, but it sounds like you are all pretty close. Are you the youngest child?

8. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I wish I had something more sympathetic to say, but: :crying: :bawl: :crying:

9. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    I wanna through my story in.

So my brother is a grumpy guy.He has been grumpy ever scence i was born. So him 18 me 15 go out shopping with our mom. So after I get a couple of T-shirts My moms like lets go for ice cream. Thats nice right, WRONG!! I can't eat ice cream ,I could never eat ice cream for years but i did. But I gave it up the night before. I told my entire family. "I AM NO LONGER EATING ICE CREAM, HEAVY CREAM OR HEAVY CHEESE AGAIN!!"
    So my mom drive for like an hour trying to get to this one ice cream store two towns over. They get there and they are eating to huge ice creams in front of me. My brother then says "Jim, why are you so grumpy all of a suddin? you jerk"

It was like smoking in front of a smoker who just quit :mad:

(I had to tell this story. long family history in that story)

10. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Okay, I'll bite - Why did you give up ice cream?

(This thread is sooooo emo!)

11. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada

Makes me sick!!!! for hours at a time.

I'm not emo I didn't wright a song about it. I have the velvet revolver CD. :rolleyes:

12. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I can sort of see where Sheep is coming from.

Sheep's bro is the older and he has responsibilities as well as privileges. That's the way it goes in traditional Asian families. If I am getting it right, part of Sheep's beef is that his brother isn't living up to his role. He's getting the privileges of the eldest without the responsibilities. He's falling down on the job in terms of filial piety. He's not giving the right props to his family.

So Sheep is picking up the slack, while his brother gets a get-out-of-jail free card. Add to the fact that Sheep is probably required or feels obliged to respect a guy that he doesn't respect because he's an older brother. It's supposed to be a two way street - the younger respects and the elder is responsible. But it doesn't seem to work that way here.

Oh well, hopefully you'll both move out, get jobs, get married, have families and create enough space between each other to actually appreciate each other someday.

13. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Your brother does sound kind of shallow, but I don't think what he did was wrong (granted I don't really know how you and your brother interact with your father). If he was genuinely upset with your dad for being inaccurate about the ladies' appearances, then that's pretty crappy, but if he just said it offhand as a half joke/half truth, I think it's fairly easily forgiveable.

14. Emerald_gasH

Emerald_gasH

Sep 17, 2000
    TO,ON,CA
    i see your gripe about your brother, but hey that's family life...of course it annoys you when he doesn't appreciate things and such...i have a brother like that too...

i think the main thing is that you just need space from your brother or let him do his thing and ignore him when he bugs you...or if it really bugs you mention it to him...but that will most likely result in a fight/argument..

anyways i guess you can just do your thing ('cause girls really appreciate the "mama's boy" ;) ) and play happy music in your head until you mentally escape your surroundings whenever he bugs you..

:)

15. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    This is atleast the 4th rant I've seen you make about your brother.

He can't be that bad....

16. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

dont we all hate our brothers?

17. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Yes he is shallow, selfish, and horny but you got the biggest case of "little brother syndrome" I have ever heard. He's being a 22 year old guy, fart in the pillow and smother him with it so he can vent about you for a change! Sorry for sounding callous but if it bugs you tell him about it!

18. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    hmm, my brother and I have been cool for about 3 years now, hopefully you guys will figure it out.

Perhaps your brother is a bit brash, but you do seem a bit too easily offended.

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You will be the one who can't get married because you're busy taking care of mom in her old age. Your brother, on the other hand, will be married several times, but he'll be the one with a life. You don't owe it to your parents to make sure they have someone with whom to eat dinner every night. In fact, you don't owe your parents anything, ultimately. Your existence is based on a choice they made, a choice that carries an inherent responsibility to raise you the best they know how until you grow up and get your own life. It's starting to look like you may fail them.

What is the root of your fear?

20. Everyone hates their brothers. Especially if they are older and bigger than you. Its not as bad if you're the older one though. As I always say "Let the beatings commence."