1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ok, this was odd... (Bongo and Chromes)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Silas Martinez, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Silas Martinez

Silas Martinez

Jan 17, 2007
    Denver, CO
    So ... I was getting a little frustrated with my Bongo. Having a hard time getting it to sound how I wanted. Tried rotosounds and elixirs, and they were either really clacky or really thuddy, not really what I wanted to hear out of it.

So ... Figuring I'd try one last thing, I went a bit radical, and picked up a set of chrome mediums. First set I got had a defective D string - couldn't get it to intonate, etc. Swapped it with another set, and .. I was really happily surprised.

Tone is mellow, not too much in the way of shrieky highs, but still has the EBMM growl that got me to pick it up in the first place.

And of course, if I crank the lows on the Bongo, go 100% neck pup, and dial out some highs ... Dub thunder.

I do have one question, though. I've heard that flats take some time to 'break in'. Once they've broken in, is that growl going to still be present? I really like the sound of them now, and I'm concerned that losing too much of the highs and mids will net a thuddy tone, without enough sustain or growl to keep me happy.