Ok to disconnect horn in keyboard amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GlennW, Jul 31, 2013.

1. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    I have a Roland CK-60 combo, a keyboard combo with a 12" and a horn. The horn has to go, it makes bad sounds.

I don't know if there's a crossover or not. I searched, and read that if there's a crossover it should also be disconnected.

The horn is wired in parallel with the 12" speaker. The two wires from the amp (a connector plug) go directly to the 12", and the horn is wired in parallel to the 12".

Is it ok to simply disconnect the leads to the horn?

There's a cap or resistor across the horn (in case that's crossover part).

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    It's a piezo tweeter. You can simply unhook the tweeter from the 12 so your signal simply goes input jack---->12 with no resistor in the way.

Leave the tweeter mounted in the cab, just to plug that hole, so you don't throw off the box tuning for the woofer.

3. AGH

AGH

Jun 18, 2013
    Long Island NY
    All of the stuff I got for free wore out!
    I think what you call the resistor on the horn is a capacitor, and I think that that is the only crossover that this amp has. Once you disconnect, you should be good to go.

4. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Thanks. I'll leave it in there so I don't lose it.

There's a board that goes across the cab between the 12" and the horn, sort of separating them.

5. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    The thing in question on the horn looks like a block resister (I think).

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021