1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

OK to play out of a speaker with a missing dust cover?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Din Of Win, May 2, 2010.

1. I picked up a new (to me) 6x10 today. It's old-ish, and i have no idea what make it is. It's in decent condition, minus a missing dust cover on one of the speakers. I tried it at low volume and it was fine. But i'm worried if more volume might be harmful. I bought it for $80... so i'm not too bummed if it means a new speaker... or can i buy just a dust cover... or do i not even need to worry at all?

2. The dust caps are the first line of defense for the speaker motor. Yes they can run fine without one, but blowing sand or dust can distroy the speaker. Find a replacement cap or have a sound companies speaker tech install a replacement cap.

3. Awesome. Thanks!

4. ive soon some really ghetto dust cap repairs done in the past.... think jam jar lids

5. Hi.

As B-string said, the dust cap is there to protect the motor. In fact, it's usually the only protection there is. Since quite a bit of the airborne inorganic dust is more or less ferro-magnetic in certain areas, replacing the cap is important.

I've done lid-jar replacements, but some sort of tape works better if You intend to do a proper repair later. I've used special "painters tape" that doesn't leave any residue, but sticks well.

Regards
    Sam