Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

OK to rewind just 1 coil of a 74 fender p bass pickup?????

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by gareth, Sep 25, 2004.

1. gareth

gareth

Jun 9, 2002
    UK
    Got myself a beatup 74 p bass but a friend says one of the 2 coils needs to be rewound.

I've found someone to rewind it and he has asked that i send him both coils.

Once he has rewound the dead coil, will the rewound coil match with the other ok? Or should I have both coils rewound at the same time?

Any thoughts TBers?

2. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    If the person rewinding the dead coil is competent then it should be fine. He needs to take into account the wire size, which can be guessed at fairly accurately with a micrometer, and he then just needs to wind it to the same resistance as the other coil, which is a little bit of guesswork, but it can be done.

3. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I would recommend just putting Carey's NP4 pickup in that bass. It'll cost a bit more, but IMHO you'll be happier with the end result.

Just my 02 cents

4. kiat

kiat

Aug 31, 2010
    Mons, Belgium
    Anyone know if a single rewind worked?

My situation is similar, one pickup broken (220kOhms resistance) on a 73 P-bass.

5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    of course you just rewind the one coil!

he needs the other coil to evaluate so he can better match it with the rewound coil.

line6man likes this.