1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ok to run GK2000rb at 2.67ohms?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wyleeboxer, Apr 14, 2006.

1. wyleeboxer

wyleeboxer Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    So I just laid down the bucks for an avatar 212neo 4ohm cab, Ill be using it pretty much solo. My other cabs are a pair of avatar 210pros 8ohms each, Ill be selling one so that leaves me with a 4ohm and 8ohm cab for my rock band which I use my 2000rb head for.
    The manual sez that in bridge mode the minimum load is 4ohms. I could run stereo which would put 350watts into a 4ohm cab and 225watts into a 8ohm cab, Ive tried this before, but I like the headroom I get from the bridge mode. I dont think Ill be using the 210 and 212 that much together except for larger shows, is it ok to run a 2.67ohm load with the 2000rb in bridge for a short period of time ex. an hour long outdoor set? Thanks

2. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    hmm... probably not without risking a transformer/mosfet blowup. best case senario is a couple of resistors frying along with a trace on the circuit board.

I would say dont try it. Lower volumes, possibly. but its not in the specifications of the amplifier, so its not recomended.

why isnt 775 watts enough?

3. wyleeboxer

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    Well it would actually be 575watts with the 4 and 8ohm cab. Ive tried it before with a 4 and 8ohm but they were both 210 and not a 210 and 212, it was clipping the amp just a touch and didnt quite have the bawwwhh! Maybe with the 212 it would help to push a little more air then the 210 and it would work out just fine?

4. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Don't do it. Either get 8 ohm cabs so you can run at the minimum 4 ohms bridged or run in stereo. You risk damaging the amp and will probably at least trip the protection circuits. It's a shame to abuse a perfectly good amp.

775 watts is a fair bit of power. The extra couple hundred watts you hope to gain wouldn't amount to much of a noticeable increase. I doubt if you could even notice it.

5. wyleeboxer

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    Thanks guys for the input! But Im not sure if Im doing the math right, the 2000rb in stereo puts out per side 350watts w/4ohm cab and 225watts w/8ohm cab = 575watts? Im selling one of the 210 8ohm cabs, which leave with the one 8ohm and the new 4ohm.